Changed water pump and now.........

SN 2B196218, 2015 75 hp 4s. I changed out my water pump, no problem, everything went back together smoothly, aligned everything going back in with the foot, nuts tightened up with little resistance.............now my shifter doesn't work smoothly, I can turn the prop in neutral but wont go into gear, I can move the lever forward, turn the prop and it will go into gear, then it goes in and out all day as long as it is forward. To get into reverse you have to go back to neutral, turn the prop a little then it goes in and out fine, but not into forward. Honestly I don't know if I ever tried this before without the engine running, and now I am. What am I missing, if anything. It might shift fine with the motor running? Thought please.......
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraywheat View Post
    I can move the lever forward, turn the prop and it will go into gear, then it goes in and out all day as long as it is forward. To get into reverse you have to go back to neutral, turn the prop a little then it goes in and out fine, but not into forward. Honestly I don't know if I ever tried this before without the engine running, and now I am. What am I missing, if anything.
    You're not missing anything and that's exactly how it should be. NEVER shift into gear, forward or reverse, unless engine is running or the prop is turned by hand. There is a dog clutch in the lower unit that requires near perfect alignment to engage. If you attempt to force it when the teeth are not aligned you'll damage expensive parts.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Ok, thanks for the input. I will run it with the muffs when the silicon bead has fully cured this afternoon to check the water pump. Then I will check it out with crossed fingers. I hope all is well, I actually have the boat sold and the buyer wanted me to change the impeller.

4. Member
    Based on what happens with my 150 HP I think you are ok. Once started it will all work!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    You're not missing anything and that's exactly how it should be. NEVER shift into gear, forward or reverse, unless engine is running or the prop is turned by hand. There is a dog clutch in the lower unit that requires near perfect alignment to engage. If you attempt to force it when the teeth are not aligned you'll damage expensive parts.
    +1

ESPECIALLY this part:

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    NEVER shift into gear, forward or reverse, unless engine is running or the prop is turned...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I cranked it up with the muffs. The water pump was good and the shifter worked great. I must have taken the lower unit off and put it back on 4-5 times, and nothing was wrong all along, live and learn. Coulda saved myself a lot of time though. Thanks for the comments!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One thing for sure- you'll probably remember it next time.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor