Ultrex mounting / cover help - 2016 TXW

hello ,

I am about to install a ultrex 80/45 next week on my 2016 PT175TXW. Currently have a maxxum 70 on it. Stock dowco cover( not fortrex model) .

I am being told by many that the cover will not fit and that the head causes it to not reach under the gunnel below the head.

1. Can anyone confirm if they have been able to make the stock cover fit by installing the TM mount differently angled or another way? or some people have said its possible if you stow it with the head in and prop facing out it may fit( but no one can confirm this). That is how i currently always stow mine after snapping a prop shaft when the TM pedal decided to turn on , on its own.

2. If it wont fit, does anyone have a photo of their cover that has been alter and on the boat? Last year i saw a pic of FB where someone got it altered and just like a 12x12 patch where the head of the TM is to give it the extra room below to reach the gunnel.

Closest canvas place to me is quoting 3-400 and stated they would most likely cut the whole cover where the TM is a sew on a new section that fits the whole TM to the front. Seems like too much when i know ive seen pics of just a patch. Place told me if i can provide pics of that , then they can quote me that and go from there.

Any pics would be great, unless anyone has info on making it work with the stock cover. Unfortunately mine sits outside, otherwise this wouldnt be an issue. i always tow with the cover off, unless it raining.

NOTE - i dont not want to get a quick release plate. I fish to much to deal with taking it on and off and its parked outside so taking off the TM and laying on the deck is not a good theft deterrent option.

Thanks

Ryan

I can't speak to the TXW but the cover on my RT188 does not fit down over the Gunnel around the Ultrex like it did with my MAXXUM.
    My boat too sits outside but I still use the cover with the big gap around the trolling motor. It still keeps the boat dry. I have never used it as a travel cover.
    My advice is to not try to use the MAXXUM mounting holes. Position the mount to rotate the head inside the gunnel as much as possible.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 02-16-2020 at 08:27 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I can't speak to the TXW but the cover on my RT188 does not fit down over the Gunnel around the Ultrex like it did with my MAXXUM.
    My boat too sits outside but I still use the cover with the big gap around the trolling motor. It still keeps the boat dry. I have never used it as a travel cover.
    My advice is to not try to use the MAXXUM mounting holes. Position the mount to rotate the head inside the gunnel as much as possible.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes when I go to install next weeked I am going to do some test fitting to see if I can position the TM mounting location and head in to try to make the cover just reach. A super small gap I may not mind but I would like it sealed if possible. I only tow with the cover on if it'd raining if I have a long trip otherwise only time it's used is parked. Appreciate the reply.

4. Member
    Had the same problem, moving from maxum pro to Ultrex on Ranger Z20. Noticed it was the the position of the head causing the cover to be short, rotated the motor so that the prop is facing to the port side now cover fits a lot better. Not as good as it did but manageable and cheaper than a new 1400.00 cover.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

5. Member
    I had a 99 tracker with tracker cover and an ulterra. Get the quick release bracket and just pull the U shaped pin and slide the motor onto front deck when you need to cover. Its a great bracket I never had any issues with it.

6. Banned
    My cover does not fit. I need to get it modified, but still haven't yet.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    My cover does not fit. I need to get it modified, but still haven't yet.
    How bad is it? Just few inches? Is that with the head clocked in and the prop facing out? Thanks

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSFishing View Post
    How bad is it? Just few inches? Is that with the head clocked in and the prop facing out? Thanks
    Head in, prop out and there's about a 12" gap between the head and the gunnel. Also, I cannot stretch the cover over the stern. It stops about 12" short there because the Ultrex sits up so high and wide. Now I did have it mounted into the existing Edge holes and maybe it could be re-mounted more inside.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Head in, prop out and there's about a 12" gap between the head and the gunnel. Also, I cannot stretch the cover over the stern. It stops about 12" short there because the Ultrex sits up so high and wide. Now I did have it mounted into the existing Edge holes and maybe it could be re-mounted more inside.
    appreciate the reply. I have seen a few pics where the cover misses by only a few inches. i guess i will try my best to make it fit otherwise more $$ for alterations. Not gonna do a quick release plate as i have transducers mounted on mine and thats too much time wasted to remove and reinstall TM and ducers everytime with how often i fish. I just need the cover due to outside storage. i tow with it off unless its downpouring.

10. Member
    Well I completed install on Saturday and the cover fit! Did have to drill new holes but with the head in and prop out my cover had enough to reachieve under the gunwale. What a relief.