Dings in fiberglass hull

Has anybody ever taken their boat to a fiberglass repair shop and have them fix all of the dings/nicks in the hull? I wonder how much they charge for doing various surface repairs? We talking a few hundred or thousands?

2. Member
    How much does a car cost?
    Same answer.

3. Member
    Dings and nicks are actually pretty easy to fix yourself. I ordered gel and flake from Ranger to match my boat, and did them myself. Pretty simple and looked fine. I'd never done any kind of fiberglass work, just looked at youtube videos, learned as best I could and started on the least noticeable areas as 'learning curves'. I could show you the areas and you'd be hard-pressed to find them if I didn't point them out.

If I can do it, anybody can.

Fixing plain gel is a pretty easy DIY job. But, repairing an area with polyflake is much harder to do right so that you can’t tell it was ever dinged. I always left the polyflake repair to the pros.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    How much does a car cost?
    Same answer.
    Not even close. Lol. Gonna be in thousands... especially if there is flake.

Really need some sort of pics to give good “usable” advice....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Banned
    If they're just dings on the bottom in a solid color just fix them yourself. I used the Evercoat match'n'patch kit to fix a few chips in my black hull. Unless you specifically knew exactly where to look you'd never know.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Not even close. Lol. Gonna be in thousands... especially if there is flake.
    Depends on type of dings and depends on type of car. Same answer, it depends.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    Has anybody ever taken their boat to a fiberglass repair shop and have them fix all of the dings/nicks in the hull? I wonder how much they charge for doing various surface repairs? We talking a few hundred or thousands?
    I guess it's too general of a question. I guess if I ever get around to doing something I'll try it myself. Thanks for the input!

10. Member
    I had about 7 very small nicks fixed this last year, cost was a few hundred dollars. They did a excellent job.

11. Member
    Had a quote last spring for pea size Nick, cracks around cleat and cracks under trolling motor for $1500 at a marine dealer.