20 merc 4s RPM will not exceed 5000

just purchased new 2020 mercury 250 pro xs 4s. installed on a 2011 z520 ranger. 6.3 hours on motor and cannot exceed 5000 rpms is this correct? adjusted hydraulic backplate up and down trim up and down will not exceed 5000 rpms or exceed 50mph. i know should only be in spurts in broken period but shouldn't it exceed 50 mph and 5000rpms? thanks for any input
    2011 Z520
    2020 250 proxs 4stroke

2. Member
    Did you drop down a couple of inches on your prop and has the WOT setting on the throttle been checked with the computer diagnostic system?
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Did the installing dealer set the hot foot by the computer to get full range of throttle? That would be where I would start.

4. Member
    My motor is a 175hp but is relative to your issue.... I had this issue and went from a 25p to 23p on the 4s. Rpm went from 5100 to 5980. Hole shot and mid range power both got crazy better. Top end speed is 2 mph less than my old motor.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carrottstix View Post
    just purchased new 2020 mercury 250 pro xs 4s. installed on a 2011 z520 ranger. 6.3 hours on motor and cannot exceed 5000 rpms is this correct? adjusted hydraulic backplate up and down trim up and down will not exceed 5000 rpms or exceed 50mph. i know should only be in spurts in broken period but shouldn't it exceed 50 mph and 5000rpms? thanks for any input
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info (serial number). Thanks!

As suggested above: What prop are you running, and did your installing dealer VERIFY the WOT position of the throttle/hotfoot with the G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    running a 23 fury with plugs remove that is what dealer said it needed and they answered when i asked that they did verify wot. beginning to have my doubts thanks for the input
    2011 Z520
    2020 250 proxs 4stroke

Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    Did the installing dealer set the hot foot by the computer to get full range of throttle? That would be where I would start.
    Still some dealers out there who don't know !

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would get it back in to them and work with them to make sure it is set properly. Not saying that a 23P is the "perfect" prop, but it should be a suitable starting point (and should certainly be able to get above 5000 RPM's as long as the trim is working and being used).

What's the engine's serial number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    You're not getting 100% throttle