Custom Rod Builder and Repairs

The best around Bill Poe was always my go to guy to do anything I wanted in this space from a built from scratch new rod, to taking an existing rod (or two) and combining elements to completely rework an older rod with a different grip, or eye configuration. With his passing, is there anyone else in the area that compares, or takes on similar “projects”?

Rods aside, I sure do miss that fella. He was a good one.

Go see Nic at Creek Sports Shop, he will take care of all your needs.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

3. Member
    Carolina cowboy You need to go to Winston-Salem and the Benton Convention Center February the 22-23 for the International Custom Rod Builder's Expo. As the title states the ICRBE is international. Anyone in the area who does custom rod building would probably be there. I myself just build for my own rods and do some outside work but nothing like Bill Poe did but there will be someone at this weekend's expo who for sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedboat View Post
    Carolina cowboy You need to go to Winston-Salem and the Benton Convention Center February the 22-23 for the International Custom Rod Builder's Expo. As the title states the ICRBE is international. Anyone in the area who does custom rod building would probably be there. I myself just build for my own rods and do some outside work but nothing like Bill Poe did but there will be someone at this weekend's expo who for sure does.
    Excellent point. But like you Bill will be missed. Shooting the breeze at the shop would make you lose track of time. The family got me a power wrapper for Christmas. It is fun to do. Try it you'll have a blast. I had a couple of old BPS cranking rods I stripped down and rebuilt. They turned out great
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

5. Member
    Exactly rb. I hope to make the expo Saturday primarily to get components to build from scratch a new rod and also I am going to strip down and rebuild a few of my older not used rods. Been waiting all year for these purchases.

Exactly rb. I hope to make the expo Saturday primarily to get components to build from scratch a new rod and also I am going to strip down and rebuild a few of my older not used rods. Been waiting all year for these purchases.
    It’s fun as heck too. I got a blank and components from Mudhole last year for a deep spinnerbait rod. Made the handle a little longer than normal. My son didn’t really like it until he used it. He made an exact copy for him and two more for his buddies when he came home. Wish you vould still get Shakari blanks
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

7. Member
    rb it all started as something to do on a nasty weather day. At the time I just ordered a rod build kit from Mudhole and it was game on. Now 20 custom rods later and I don't know how many guide repairs I plan on going to Winston this Saturday and maybe get another Rainshadow Immortal or one of the Newer model Rainshadow blanks from Kevin at Get Bit custom Rods. You should try making the International Custom Rod Builders Expo at the Benton Convention Center this Saturday and or Sunday. You can pick up all the components needed to build a nice rod and a lot of the time at a good discount. Also there are some seminars on various rod building techniques. I've been the last 3 years and learn something new each year, check it out.

rb it all started as something to do on a nasty weather day. At the time I just ordered a rod build kit from Mudhole and it was game on. Now 20 custom rods later and I don't know how many guide repairs I plan on going to Winston this Saturday and maybe get another Rainshadow Immortal or one of the Newer model Rainshadow blanks from Kevin at Get Bit custom Rods. You should try making the International Custom Rod Builders Expo at the Benton Convention Center this Saturday and or Sunday. You can pick up all the components needed to build a nice rod and a lot of the time at a good discount. Also there are some seminars on various rod building techniques. I've been the last 3 years and learn something new each year, check it out.
    I would love to but I'm going to the Classic. Will make it next year. If you see anything great let me know. Its funny how a rod you custom build feels in your hand. I built a topwater rod a couple of years ago with a short handle and just a touch tip heavy. It is perfect for working a topwater with the tip down and hook up % is super good

Need to check out EP Custom Rods in Goldsboro. Ernie builds some great rods and uses quality blanks and Fuji components He will be at the expo as well.

I second E.P. been building rods for me for over 25 years !

11. Member
    rb I agree nothing like researching all the information what you want in a rod purchasing the components then building that rod then using this custom built rod to boat that Bass that would be the one to pay for the rod you built.

Ernie is the man !!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    It’s fun as heck too. I got a blank and components from Mudhole last year for a deep spinnerbait rod. Made the handle a little longer than normal. My son didn’t really like it until he used it. He made an exact copy for him and two more for his buddies when he came home. Wish you vould still get Shakari blanks
    i got several shikari blanks at the ICRBE when it was in high point years back. just another reason to hit up the expo! there are deals to be had,not to mention state of the art products. rodbuilders can do that weird stuff like make a 9' one hand rod blank into a 10 1/2' two hander without a lot of problems. it is indeed fun.

14. Member
    As they said.... go see Ernie outside of Goldsboro.