Swing away trailer help. Pins Froozen

Hey guys looking for some advice on trying to get why swing away tounge open on my trailer. Trailer is for a 2015 z119c. Long story short I haven’t used it since I bought the boat new in may of 15. I made the mistake of assuming it was a stainless pin like on my dad’s 03. Now wife and I are in new house and boat needs the tounge open to fit with out taking up all three stalls at an angle. Wife is getting g testy wanting her car back inside.

I have been soaking pin for 4 days with penetration oil but no go. It seams to be soaking through but still no budge. I pulled the nut for the bolt on the other side but can’t get that bolt to budge either. It won’t turn from the top. Anyone ever experienced this??? Any advice. Wife is ready to sell it and make me buy a skeeter or nitro. Please help!!!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve never had to try what you’re attempting, but a little heat and a big hammer [from the bottom] would be what I would try.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Have you tried using a hammer and punch or another bolt but smaller then the pin. Hit it a few times, then try to turn it back and forth. Then repeat until it will move. You may have to tap it on the top a few times until you get it to move. Mine was like that an it's a 2015 and the guy I got it from never had to swing it. The bolt side had a Zerk fitting so I greased it up and moved it back and forth, back and forth, then I was able to drive it out and then swing the tongue until the pin loosed up and I drove it out then. I cleaned the bolt up on a wire wheel and used emery cloth to clean the hole out. Did the same on the pin side, but replaced the pin with a stainless one. DO NOT USE HEAT if you have the Road Armor on your trailer as it will melt and catch fire !!!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    You’ve never used your boat since you bought it new in 2015 ? Do you mean just the trailer ? Or the boat itself ? I’m intrigued.

ok well regarding your stuck pin - try what the gentleman above suggested- punch & hammer x repeat till budges (and it will eventually).

good luck.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Never used the swing tounge.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Have you tried using a hammer and punch or another bolt but smaller then the pin. Hit it a few times, then try to turn it back and forth. Then repeat until it will move. You may have to tap it on the top a few times until you get it to move. Mine was like that an it's a 2015 and the guy I got it from never had to swing it. The bolt side had a Zerk fitting so I greased it up and moved it back and forth, back and forth, then I was able to drive it out and then swing the tongue until the pin loosed up and I drove it out then. I cleaned the bolt up on a wire wheel and used emery cloth to clean the hole out. Did the same on the pin side, but replaced the pin with a stainless one. DO NOT USE HEAT if you have the Road Armor on your trailer as it will melt and catch fire !!!!
    I have tried everything g on the pin it won’t budge. I have greased the bolt on the other side. Grease just comes out the top where it pivits. Can’t get bolt out it seams as froze as the pin. I have broken the handle off the pin and the collar on the top of the pin. Tried punching it through from the top. The top portion of the pin the handle went on broke off as well. My trailer has been a issue since day one and ranger refuses to help. Multiple spots with rust coming through the road armor. Ranger dealer that I was local to took pictures and sent to ranger. Ranger claimed they have never received anything. No road armor on my toung anymore. It has all peeled off.

I love the boat but absolutely hate this trailer and the road armor. Mine has been junk. Eats tires really bad to no one can get it aligned.

my dad has a 03 since new and his trailer still looks new it has a hard case paint. His swing toung is also stainless pin and sleeve.

7. Member
    Anyone think it’s time to drill? Or does that sound like a really bad idea.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    By heat, I was thinking hair dryer, not torch. That’s going to be tough to drill, but with what you’ve described, I don’t think it will hurt.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I would try Deep Creep for a while before drilling.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    In cases like this shock is your friend, wacking the head of the pin and then wacking the bottom will get it moving, also grab the top of the pin with a pipe wrench to try and turn it. On the pivot bolt try an impact wrench alternating forward and backwards. My favorite penetrating oil is Kroil
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

11. Member
    Thanks for the help guys much appreciated. I got it out. Drilled down on the top of the pit and got to the hard metal and was able to put a punch on it. Got it to go about 1/4 inch down. Hit back up from bottom and kept hitting it with oil. Back and forth, back and forth gaining some movement each time. After about a hour of that and a really tired arm from swinging the 4lb hammer it finally punched all the way out.

Aero Kroil is what I’d use

13. Member
    Glad you got it out. I have to open mine every garage trip. I put some lube on the factory pin when I lube the motor. It moves real easy.

14. Member
    Its all about attitude and a BIG Hammer. Way to go

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    In cases like this shock is your friend, wacking the head of the pin and then wacking the bottom will get it moving, also grab the top of the pin with a pipe wrench to try and turn it. On the pivot bolt try an impact wrench alternating forward and backwards. My favorite penetrating oil is Kroil
    Kroil is great stuff. It will eventually work if you keep at it.

16. Member
    Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Heat, Beat, Repeat is the method I used. Took literally 2 guys more than an hour to get it broken loose.

17. Member
    Don't whack the head. You'll bust off the handle. Hook up the trailer to the truck so the trailer is stationary. Have someone put pressure on each side of the boat/trailer while tapping the bottom of the pin. It's obviously binded, it's not rusted together.
    Joey Aderhold

18. Member
    Second the kroil oil...that stuff is awesome

19. Member
    i had the same problem, sawzall took care of it finally after playing with it for two weeks, it was pinned & locked for 10 years so it wasn't letting go.