Question Upsizing livewell pumps

Anyone upsized the flow of their livewell pump(s)? I’m planning on replacing both my pumps before the tournament season as a preventative measure and was considering upsizing the flow. The idea would be to have higher flow/oxygenation of water in recirculating mode. I realize I’d have to watch to not overfill as the overflow drain might not be large enough with more flow on FILL mode.

2. Member
    I know of people going from 500's to 750 without a problem but I would keep an eye on it if you do.

3. Member
    Ranger vx 518. I went from two 500 to two 750,my wells don’t overflow. I think I’m going to 1000 now,at the time Johnson/Mayfair 1000 wouldn’t fit my bases and I didn’t want the hassle of changing those. They have a 1000 now that will fit.

Boats in storage now so I can’t easily check. Does anyone know what brand of pumps I need to order to replace the cartridges in my 2016 522D?

I have done it on my older ranger with no issues at all

Check the hose sizes. I beleive the 1000 gph is a larger size than 500/750 gph. BTW, I changes to 750 gph in my Ranger, works like a charm.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    Boats in storage now so I can’t easily check. Does anyone know what brand of pumps I need to order to replace the cartridges in my 2016 522D?
    Rule is the brand.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I have a older Skeeter , I went from (2) 500's to (2) 850's with no problems. I rarely move the timer switch of minimum. Does a great job.
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

Quote Originally Posted by sk2000 View Post
    I have a older Skeeter , I went from (2) 500's to (2) 850's with no problems. I rarely move the timer switch of minimum. Does a great job.
    Did you switch the fuse to a 5 amp?

10. mikesxpress

11. Member
    MayFair is the brand, Johnson Pump. The boats normally come with 500gph cartridges and it is an easy swap out for 750gph pumps. Sometimes you can buy the entire pump cheaper than just the cartridge. I do this and just keep one in my boat as a spare. It is very easy to swap the cartridge out. I called Ranger and they sent me a handful of plugs and connectors so I can rig my new pumps with New connectors that plug right in. Don't change them out on the water as you will flood your boat. If upsizing then change both out or it wont work.

12. Member
    I actually went down from 750 to 500. The amp draw was really killing my cranking battery as I don’t move around much in a tournament day. I think a lot more goes into fish care than how fast the water is pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by tajchauvin View Post
    I actually went down from 750 to 500. The amp draw was really killing my cranking battery as I don’t move around much in a tournament day. I think a lot more goes into fish care than how fast the water is pumping.
    There is alot that goes into fish care, but Oxygen level in the water to me is #1 concern. More turbulent water should yield more oxygen.