Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cougar FTD w/250 Pro XS (skeg damage / repair) please help

<2B089538>last year I hit a partially submerged limb and at the time me and my co-angler thought nothing of it, didn't seem offensive in the least. Upon loading the boat saw piece came out of front of skeg and plate was bent to left. (pic shows skeg bent to left and 2nd pic shows piece missing).
    Local Marine shop has a gent who comes in weekly in the summer to pick up lower unit after removal and takes it back to shop for skeg repair.
    When I got it back I could see that skeg was not 100% in line as it was from factory but it wasn't until I took prop off for winter oil drain with output shaft now as a reference you could easily see that the skeg was not fixed properly. (pic now shows repaired skeg now bent to right)
    As you can see the skeg was originally bent to the left and the repair fix over compensated it now to the right.
    So, the million dollar question: How much of an issue is or could this be ? Don't know if will cause more torque on steering wheel while driving as it's hard to judge now. Don't know if it will cause an issues and mid to top end speed or safety?

I don't beliieve the skeg was removed, I think the "kennedy half" size piece missing was filled and skeg tried to be straightened. I know some shop just cut off and weld new one on, don't believe this was the case.

Can anyone give me some advise as to possible issues and best course of action to take or advise me on who I can contact that has expertise in this arena.

P.S. My 21' Mako with a 200 Opti also had it's prop removed for winterazation and the sked on that outdrive is in perfect alignment with the output shaft. (last pic shows skeg on my Mako in perfect alignment w/output shaft)

My search for answers are mixed. Some say fine, some say re-repair, some say weld a new skeg, some say don't drive over 55 the way it is. I don't know if current condition is dangerous (skeg breaks off at high speed 70-78).
    I have driven the boat a few times since it was repaired to this condition and it's hard to tell if there is any more torque/pull in the steering wheel than before but I did not push the boat. 60 tops.
    I am in the Albany New York area so if anyone can advise what is the best corse of action and possible where I where I might take to get it where it needs to be. I am the type of person that will drive a fair distance to get to
    people that know what they are doing. If you double click on the 3rd (sideways picture it will come up vertical like the rest) at least it did on my pc
    I can take more close up pics if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-17-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Replacing the case is your only safe option. The skeg is the only way you have to steer the boat at high speed...you lose it and bad things happen very quickly.
    Last edited by Gamblinman; 02-15-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Member
    Gamblinman, if you look at the pictures you will see that he just had a large chip out of the skeg, not completely gone. If that weld (chip) flys off I highly doubt that it would effect stability or steering. The big question is: Is the 2 stroke 250 Merc Pro XS skeg (wingmaster L/U) supposed to be straight or does it have a slight curve to offset torque?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Gamblinman, if you look at the pictures you will see that he just had a large chip out of the skeg, not completely gone. If that weld (chip) flys off I highly doubt that it would effect stability or steering. The big question is: Is the 2 stroke 250 Merc Pro XS skeg (wingmaster L/U) supposed to be straight or does it have a slight curve to offset torque?

I think Gamblinman realized that a small piece was repaired (filled). I'm guessing that he is concerned about the fix procedure that moved the bent skeg from it's bent position (left) to the repaired position (right). Fuelleak, If my memory serves me correctly I believe the skeg was in perfect alignment with the output shaft
    (ie. just like the other pic of my 21' Mako which has an undamaged skeg which is in perfect alignment with the output shaft). (last picture to the right)

Losing any part of the skeg at speed can upset the handling. Most High Performance RH Mercury cases will have a integral torque tab. LH won't.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    So Gamblinman, I see your point on having that L/U bent one way by impact and then heated and bent the other way by the repair guy. Coat hanger effect I guess? Are you concerned the whole skeg will come off below the gear case at speed? fishraptor, Its the second picture in from the right (sideways) that shows how off to the right the skeg now is. Thats not correct either is it? Aren't they aligned straight now days?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's back up for a moment: If you would, please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info (serial number). Thanks!

Four very good reasons to NOT attempt skeg repairs:

-Boats that travel greater than 55 MPH can potentially become an "unguided missile" in the event of loss of the skeg (or a portion of the skeg). Altered or repaired skegs may not handle correctly.

-Bent, Altered or skewed skegs can cause adverse (or even dangerous) handling characteristics. One of the more common problems is "blowout".

-Mercury does not offer a replacement skeg for the Torquemaster or the Gen-2 Torquemaster

-If the engine is under Warranty, Platinum Product Protection or Gold Product Protection: ANY evidence of impact will result in a denial of warranty claims. Any repair must be done to Factory Warranty Standards using new, OEM Parts.

At a minimum: Replace the housing and have the shafts, bearings, gears inspected, then reshimmed into the new housing. Or, better yet: Replace the entire assembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    So Gamblinman, I see your point on having that L/U bent one way by impact and then heated and bent the other way by the repair guy. Coat hanger effect I guess? Are you concerned the whole skeg will come off below the gear case at speed? fishraptor, Its the second picture in from the right (sideways) that shows how off to the right the skeg now is. Thats not correct either is it? Aren't they aligned straight now days?

Yes, I believe it was dead center from the factory.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Let's back up for a moment: If you would, please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info (serial number). Thanks!

Four very good reasons to NOT attempt skeg repairs:

-Boats that travel greater than 55 MPH can potentially become an "unguided missile" in the event of loss of the skeg (or a portion of the skeg). Altered or repaired skegs may not handle correctly.

-Bent, Altered or skewed skegs can cause adverse (or even dangerous) handling characteristics. One of the more common problems is "blowout".

-Mercury does not offer a replacement skeg for the Torquemaster or the Gen-2 Torquemaster

-If the engine is under Warranty, Platinum Product Protection or Gold Product Protection: ANY evidence of impact will result in a denial of warranty claims. Any repair must be done to Factory Warranty Standards using new, OEM Parts.

At a minimum: Replace the housing and have the shafts, bearings, gears inspected, then reshimmed into the new housing. Or, better yet: Replace the entire assembly.

Would you happen to know what a new lower unit case for my 2014 Basscat Cougar FTD would cost ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishraptor View Post
    Would you happen to know what a new lower unit case for my 2014 Basscat Cougar FTD would cost ?
    Call your insurance company. That's why you pay it. Cost is very dear!!!!!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

If you add your motor serial # Don would more accurate with a quote. They like to have a motor serial # anytime you post with a question

I paid 3800.-, IIRC, about a year ago for a used/rebuilt and that was probably a good deal from a Canadian dealer that was just across the border because of strong dollar and exchange rate. I believe I’ve seen 7500.- for new.

13. Member
    Talking about repair, I tried it once, lasted about a year. AT about 85 it broke off again and by the grace of god I was going straight and it stayed kinda straight. I could not take a dump for a week, it was shut tight if that tells you anything. Never EVER again will that be tried, It was tig welded with a premium machine by a premium welder, After inspection it had air bubbles all in material. Cast is a bad material to weld......
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Call your insurance company. That's why you pay it. Cost is very dear!!!!!
    This is what I did several years ago. I carry underwater hazard insurance. My end out of pocket was $300 deductible instead of $2100. They replaced the whole lower unit. This was on a 1988 Yamaha 225 V6 Excell.
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

15. Member
    I just did a repair to LU due to skeg damage. New case, all parts to install my gears in new case was $3900 and change. Included all seals, new water pump kit, and labor.
    Fishraptor, let me add, under no circumstances should a repair have been attempted. As Don pointed out replacement skegs are not even available. Mercury does not approve repairs to cases. If you have insurance, then it is an insurance claim. Yes, they will squeal and do their best to not pay for a case. However a new case is the only fix. Read over the following thread and most of your questions should be answered.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1028430
    Last edited by gehol; 02-16-2020 at 08:26 AM.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First step is to provide your engine serial number. Check out "Rhonda's" post at the top of the forum- if you drop her an email she can assist you with BBC member pricing for a replacement gearhousing (based on your serial number).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    I had a case the looked identical to yours. The case needs replaced under a insurance claim.

18. Member
    Well, I have waited a few days to hear everyones view, opinions and technical expertise and as you can see this post solution has turned clear as "mud". I am totally shocked that the "views / suggestions / options and such".... are all over the board. I was hoping for some definative, concrete, "This will work" solution... But, but .... I do appreciate and value everyones' posts and can easily understand everyones side. I have always had a theory that if you "pursue" a solution or answer long enough and hard enough the truth will "sift to the bottom", but unfortunately that doesn't not appear to be happening here. We have a bunch saying "go left" and a bunch saying "go right". I do have insurance and would assume that they would cover it even thought I made an attempt to solve the problem and save them money but I guess I won't know that until I check. I guess at this point I am leaning insurance claim as I will sleep better especially because the boats high speed capability. I truly love my beautiful Cougar and I think I need to bit the bullet. I am just wondering if the "used" case would have any value for someone who application is less critical and needs a case and has a boat that doesn't run real fast or has no intention what so ever of going that fast. Was advised to get the serial number off unit to see what a new case would cost. The sad part is I already have $521.55 I shelled out for the skeg repair .... which is still bent. Had I known this was/might be an issue for the boat regarding safety or the skeg was going to come back not in perfect alignment I would have never had it done.

I do not believe that prop or internals were affected as their is no vibration what so ever and I didn't see any signs of "hit" but will tripe check again.
    Last edited by fishraptor; 02-19-2020 at 01:40 PM.

19. Member
    How is it "clear as mud"......Everyone is telling you to get the case replaced!

Turn claim into the insurance company.
    Have the case replaced and have all internal components checked by a Mercury Master Certified Technician.
    Never except a weld repair on that case!!!

20. Member
    Like Savage says, how could it possibly be any clearer? If you are confused just go with Don's and/or Savage's advice, hard to go wrong there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast