Thread: LED lights?

LED lights?

are LED lights waterproof? i make it a point every time i got through make routine i unplug my lights when i unhook my boat, wondering if i can switch to these and not worry, what are some ggod ones and should i put them on a pole or leave them where they are now? thanks

2. Member
    I switched on my last boat and never had a light go bad again. I think they are

These have been great for me... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=914262

I haven't unplugged trailer lights in 30 years... 99% of them today are sealed units.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    I never unplug when launching

5. Banned
    Seen a few fairly new boats with a led brake light not working and not sure why. One said his had been out a while?? I bought the led kit from etrailer for my boat trailer and 4 of the leds on the starboard side light have quit already. Go figure.

6. Member
    Yes they are sealed. If they aren't working then it is usually a grounding issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    Yes they are sealed. If they aren't working then it is usually a grounding issue.
    No... Cheap LED's fail like mentioned above. The light may have 10 leds and a few fail, That is not from a grounding issue as the rest still work.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

My LED's are waterproof. Unplugging is not an option because 5 pin wiring of the brake solnoid lock out in reverse

9. Member
    I have optronics led's all the way around my trailer, never unplug, and all work 5 years later

10. Member
    Yes optronics I like too. Led bulbs are nice and if they are cheaply made the road shock can cause the cheaper led to fail. Poorly soldered diodes and they flicker.

11. Member
    I have never unplugged any of my trailer lights, some are 5 wire, some are 4 wire. All 3 of my trailers have cheap low profile harbor frieght submersible lights. The oldest set is about 8 years old, the newest were put on last year. All still work

Just replaced all of my lights with new optronics LED versions. much brighter!
    Only one I couldnt find was the license plate light. They didnt have an LED version with the matching plug-in or mounting holes that mine has. I didnt want to cut off the pigtails so I just cleaned the original up and left it.
    Search continues...
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link