HB: is DI/SI 100% independent of 2D?

Hi Wayne, I’m thinking of a Y-cable installation of a new HB 3-in-1 Transducer, and I know some people have done it.

My question is: For HB, is DI/SI 100% independent of 2D, especially for the all-in-1 transducers? I recall I saw somewhere that DI relies on 2D for depth, but I can’t find the info now so I’m not sure if this applies to HB.

Thanks!

2D provides the DEPTH READOUT.
    It also RANGES SI and DI. If you set the 2D max depth to less than the actual depth, you will get no SI or DI images.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I see. So if we use a Y cable, how close the standalone 2D sonar has to stay with the big All-in-one please?

I ask because I don’t want to deteriorate my images while spending more just to protect the big transducer.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    2D provides the DEPTH READOUT.
    It also RANGES SI and DI. If you set the 2D max depth to less than the actual depth, you will get no SI or DI images.

As far as using a Y cable to connect a SI transducer and separate 2D transducer, that is very common and recommended on high performance pad hull fiberglass boats.
    By making that statement you must still not understand what the Y cable with HW transducer and G2N thread was all about.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I think I do. While I say “protect”, I mean physically, not necessarily electrically as you might be thinking (related to the other thread).

If the standalone 2D sonar were depth-incorrect (due to a different installation location), as you said, DI/SI would be impacted.

I’ll give up the idea for now, and just use an old standalone finder for high speed 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    I think I do. While I say “protect”, I mean physically, not necessarily electrically as you might be thinking (related to the other thread).

If the standalone 2D sonar were depth-incorrect (due to a different installation location), as you said, DI/SI would be impacted.

I’ll give up the idea for now, and just use an old standalone finder for high speed 2D.
    That concern is a non-issue, you would never have the two transducers submerged at such a different depth that it would be an issue.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    No offense to anyone, just share what I found yesterday:

“My Helix 10 G2.5N” can use 3 ways/sources as depth source:

(1) users can choose “2D only” as 100% depth source, or

(2) Auto that reads from either 2D or DI. This mode is problematic when a Y cable is used with a separate 2D, as the 3-in-1 could get out of water when on plane and reads erratic depth, and messes around! See below!

(3) Use Auto with a Y cable but no 2D sonar connected, depth will be 100% from DI. DI/SI works fine, ranges fine, when not on plane.

Hope this helps to get rid of the HB popular depth jumping issue.

————————————————
    Helix G2.5 Depth Issue:

Set up with a Y cable (the latest model). Both HW transducers work fine when individually connected.

Depth Source was set to Auto. Looks like DI or SI is also detecting depth, besides 2D.

Solution: set depth source to 2D only!

Last edited by BassTracker175; 05-04-2020 at 05:36 AM.