Thread: Comparable Rods

Comparable Rods

I really like the weight and feel of my Duckett Micro Magic Spinning rods. But, I'd like to break my addiction to them and try another brand.

Any recommendations for a Medium action spinning rod that has similar weight and feel? Length around 7'.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Member
    Well, not to impugn Duckett;s rods because I know they are insanely popular, but for me there are many, many rods of much better quality. Do a forum search and you'll see what I mean. IMO, if it weren't for their use of the Microwave Guides, they wouldn't be nearly as popular. There are plenty of rods out there of much better quality. Kistler, Loomis, St. Croix, etc to name a few. If money were no object, I'd go with the Conquest. For a few bucks step up over the Duckett, I like the Expride. Again, it's pretty subjective, and it's JMO.

If you want something that significantly higher quality and an outstanding value, check out the Daiwa Tatula spinning rods. The 701MFS would be ideal for you. They fish well above their price point, so do the casting rods. Between now and May 31, each purchase (up to 3) qualifies for a HUK Performance Shirt making them an even better deal with the BBC10 discount code at The Tackle Trap...

Thanks for replies. I've narrowed it down to the Tatula TAT701MFS, St. Croix PS70MF, and the Dobyns SA 703SF. Next step is to try and find a the Tatula or Dobyns rod and see how it feels in my hands. Premier should be easy to find at Bass Pro.

Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 02-17-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Thanks for replies. I've narrowed it down to the Tatula TAT701MFS, St. Croix PS70MF, and the Dobyns SA 703SF. Next step is to try and find a the Tatula or Dobyns rod and see how it feels in my hands. Premier should be easy to find at Bass Pro.

You can find Tatula rods at many Dick's Sporting Goods locations.
    80% off of SA Face Shields
    Coupon Code: RCNOD80

6. Member
    I’m a big fan of the premier as an all around rod it has a softer tip than most at Croix rods so it’ll be more comparable to a Duckett that way. If you want a split grip, Cabelas sells premier split grips while Bass Pro only has full cork handles
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post

IMO, the tatula is definitely the best rod of that bunch

8. Member
    Take a look at the daiwa tatula elite, I think u will like them.