Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Keep in mind the large number of models available from Minn kota for all different kinds of fishing styles.

Lowrance and Garmin have one model.

Not everyone fishes in 10' or less of water while chuckin an pluckin bass. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Just got a survey from Minn Kota asking a bunch of questions

Several focused on Brushless motors, more power, programmable foot pedal and how important the "link" is

Seems they are wondering how much the new motors are going to hit their bottom line and if they need to make some changes
    I got the same survey , competition makes products better .

3. Member
    Not sure about MinnKota getting worried. They're aware that when the new thing comes out, some go to it. Posting as John Jones, IMHO, I would go with an Ultrex over either of the two new entries into the trolling motor market. First consideration would be availability of parts if something went wrong. Mainly though, I like the operation of the MinnKota over the other two and don't see where they should be concerned when it all shakes out. There is some that say the brushless motor is the new wave. I don't believe it at this time. While repairing motors, I see very few that have actually got brush problems. Most of them was caused by water intrusion. Ok, so if you're out of warranty and have to foot the bill for repair, and you've have water in the lower unit, would you rather pay for a clean up and new brushes and seals, or pay for a new lower unit and possibly a shaft. Personally I think cost to repair will be the downfall of the brushless motor on a trolling motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Ultrex has problems too , mine has a metal ring on shaft to keep desired depth because MK cheeped out on factory depth clamp , also has wires poking out of a rubber seal . BUT I still love the way it works .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    A barebones cable steer with spotlock would sell like hot cakes, bass anglers don't need anything else. I'm amazed that Motorguide missed the mark so badly with their Tour Pro. That motor could have won some big market share at $1500, but it's $1k too expensive
    AMEN!

6. Member
    I don’t think that every time a company does a marketing survey they are “worried.” Minn Kota is known for innovation and getting there first. They cornered a market and are being copied now. Now they are trying to figure out the next thing while everyone else is focused on what they’ve already done. It’s called staying on top of your market and not resting on your past successes.
    Last edited by db220; 02-20-2020 at 12:30 PM.

7. Member
    After the amount of money minnkota made with the ultrex I highly doubt they are to worried. It sounds to me like they may want to narrow down how many models they make. Maybe they dont see the "one boat network" selling like they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    A barebones cable steer with spotlock would sell like hot cakes, bass anglers don't need anything else. I'm amazed that Motorguide missed the mark so badly with their Tour Pro. That motor could have won some big market share at $1500, but it's $1k too expensive
    I agree too!!!

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I agree too!!!
    You need at least some "bones" with meat on them to have spotlock==GPS and an electric steering motor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You need at least some "bones" with meat on them to have spotlock==GPS and an electric steering motor.
    Yeah I have an Ultrex and am happy with it but I still think Motorguide missed a price point opportunity.
    They claim to still have mechanical cable steer that works independently of the motor steer. If they had a minimum feature unit with spot lock only for $1500’ it would sell well. I would have bought it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Maybe they are trying to get a sense for something the market that is missing. A bare bones trolling motor with spot lock and a cable drive/assist for <$1000...

Yea right, only in Average Joes dreams.
    Now that would sell! I chatted with em yesterday regarding the same idea. They said not for a few years. Local shop that sells and repairs lowrance, Garmin and Minnkota told me that the 24 ghost is pushing more thrust than any brushed 24 motor and it’s more efficient meaning more battery life
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    They claim to still have mechanical cable steer that works independently of the motor steer.
    I like the sound of that.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Did anyone else notice how the cost of depthfinders went up when mapping and GPS was added. So trolling motor added that to a trolling motor, then added a way to keep that trolling motor on a GPS coordinate. MinnKota did it for apx $1000.00 when you compare the cost of a Fortrex (Non GPS model) to the Ultrex basic model. Garmin and Lowrance just built a new trolling motor, didn't have a non GPS to work off of and added about $1800 to the cost of a comparable trolling motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Ultrex had a unique position in the market, so could get away with charging what they wanted, but that's in the past now. Hopefully Motorguide will review their market position as they aren't affiliated with a linked sonar system, so have the opportunity to place their motor at a different place in the market and get volume sales. I would bet that so few bass anglers use any of the sonar linking features that they are pointless.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Maybe they are trying to get a sense for something the market that is missing. A bare bones trolling motor with spot lock and a cable drive/assist for <$1000...

Yea right, only in Average Joes dreams.
    personaly as a bass fisherman the force and ghost with no cable steering are not what I want. I think the motorguide or Minkota are the best. As far as hand held remote last time I checked I use my hands for holding rod. The motorguide has the best looking mount and cable assist steering without a bunch of crap I don’t need. Minkota foot control is crap and backwards and that aluminum mount is way to big. Just so you know I own a fortrex but next will be a motorguide all I need is spotlock and cable steer.

16. Member
    ... have it yooouuur way, have it your way ...

I want cable steer, spot lock and reasonable pricing - period.
    (maybe Burger King will start making TM's)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

17. Member
    Price is definitely steep on these motors. But you do get what you pay for. I remember not to long ago how expensive the fortrex was when it came out. They were great and worth the money. I feel the ultrex is a great piece of equipment as well and was worth the money to me. The price of 2300 when I bought mine was steep but I have never regretted it! And at this point in the trolling motor game I think the other companies will be playing catch-up. I'm sue minnkota s working on their next big thing as I speak. Hopefully that will lower the prices on he older models and everyone can enjoy the awesome spot lock technology!
    oh yeah, the remote is great for those guys like me who fish a lot of electric only lakes. It's nice to sit down an steer the boat while you look at the map.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    Price is definitely steep on these motors. But you do get what you pay for. I remember not to long ago how expensive the fortrex was when it came out. They were great and worth the money. I feel the ultrex is a great piece of equipment as well and was worth the money to me. The price of 2300 when I bought mine was steep but I have never regretted it! And at this point in the trolling motor game I think the other companies will be playing catch-up. I'm sue minnkota s working on their next big thing as I speak. Hopefully that will lower the prices on he older models and everyone can enjoy the awesome spot lock technology!
    oh yeah, the remote is great for those guys like me who fish a lot of electric only lakes. It's nice to sit down an steer the boat while you look at the map.
    As you say, it's great technology. My question is how much of the tech do you actually use? You say you use the remote, so that's probably more than most bass anglers. Do you use the cruise control? The heading settings? Do you use them regularly?

19. Member
    I always use the heading and remote for steering. I fish a lot due to I have a small electric only lake 5 min from me and I never winterize my boat because I keep it in the garage. I use the remote to mark spots for the go to command which is awesome. The only downfall I see with the ultrex is no one want to take the time to learn the functions, when you get to the lake you just want to spot lock and fish. Also, it works awesome when you have a group of spots you want to fish that are together.
    Like I said, for me it was worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    I always use the heading and remote for steering. I fish a lot due to I have a small electric only lake 5 min from me and I never winterize my boat because I keep it in the garage. I use the remote to mark spots for the go to command which is awesome. The only downfall I see with the ultrex is no one want to take the time to learn the functions, when you get to the lake you just want to spot lock and fish. Also, it works awesome when you have a group of spots you want to fish that are together.
    Like I said, for me it was worth every penny.
    I also fish several electric-only lakes. Launch, aim the motor the direction I want to go and let Auto Pilot take me there while I mess with my tackle.
    Sometimes I do Auto Chart Live at those lakes while at the console, I drive the boat with the remote. Can do it with the display, but prefer the remote.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast