1999 225 Opti Problem Need Advice

So my motor only runs 4200 rpms. Local shop says it has a twisted sleeve on cylinder 1 but everything else on the motor checks out. I got taken for a ride by the previous owner and was told it had less than 1000 hours on it. Turns out it is actually 3300 hours. Shop says option are rebuild for $7500, complete new upper end for $11500, or buy a new motor. Thoughts? Dont want to get rid of the ranger 519dvs I have now because it is nearly new condition and I love it.
    1999 Ranger 519DVS Comanche 2016 Mercury 225 Pro XS

"Let\'s go Hawg\'N...!"

2. Member
    I'd get a second opinion, book value cant be close to what they to want repair.

3. Member
    If it’s just the sleeve, can it be removed and put back in right or did it damage the rings and pistons?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by HawgStalker View Post
    So my motor only runs 4200 rpms. Local shop says it has a twisted sleeve on cylinder 1 but everything else on the motor checks out. I got taken for a ride by the previous owner and was told it had less than 1000 hours on it. Turns out it is actually 3300 hours. Shop says option are rebuild for $7500, complete new upper end for $11500, or buy a new motor. Thoughts? Dont want to get rid of the ranger 519dvs I have now because it is nearly new condition and I love it.
    could be motor was rebuilt/replaced and it does in fact have less than a 1000 hours but the PCM is indicating the total hours on the PCM since it was installed new, either way with a turned sleeve and a 1000 hours I would be looking for a much newer low hour pro xs of the maximum HP allowed for your boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Sent you a PM .

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info (serial number). Thanks!

There is no "complete new upper end" for that engine at this point... not sure where they're headed with that one unless they're thinking you can put a ProXS Full-Dressed Powerhead on your mid/gearcase (not suitable in this case).

Did they provide some photographic "proof" that a sleeve is rotated, or is this one of those "x-ray vision" guesses?

Note: Moved thread to the 3L Forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Saw the scope myself. Holes are completely covered up inside the cylinder. Decided to re-power.
    1999 Ranger 519DVS Comanche 2016 Mercury 225 Pro XS

"Let\'s go Hawg\'N...!"

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor