Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Fishraptor
    There is NO way BCB would state that the Skeg could be bent back (if done properly) if there was a chance of failure. The liability of that statement is big. Its because they KNOW and have more experience than anyone else on this site with that process.
    I have straightened out a couple and many others have. A bent Skeg is nothing new in Boating industry and doesn't require a LU replacement every time it happens.
    What you don't show in this thread is the big chunk that was missing from the front of the Skeg (Merc forum). That repair would be my concern.
    Bending the skeg isn't the issue, its the chunk missing from forward impact. It creates fatigue points in the aluminium.
    As Don mentioned, I would replace the LU due to that repair.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 02-18-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I had a chunk missing from the bottom of my skeg, skeg didn’t looked bent at all. Prop looked liked it wasn’t bent either except for one tip barely even noticeable until I sent it off to Ronnie. He found a stress fracture at the base of one blade, no one had noticed it until Ronnie saw it. Prop replaced by insurance with no issues.

Dealer tore the lower unit apart and inspected everything. Prop shaft was very slightly bent. I have the Platinum extended warranty also. Insurance replaced the lower unit with a new Mercury OEM unit. If it was just the skeg I could deal with welding another one on or straightening it. I pay insurance for a reason and just let them handle it, it went pretty smooth except for the lower units being on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Fishraptor
    There is NO way BCB would state that the Skeg could be bent back (if done properly) if there was a chance of failure. The liability of that statement is big. Its because they KNOW and have more experience than anyone else on this site with that process.
    I have straightened out a couple and many others have. A bent Skeg is nothing new in Boating industry and doesn't require a LU replacement every time it happens.
    What you don't show in this thread is the big chunk that was missing from the front of the Skeg (Merc forum). That repair would be my concern.
    Bending the skeg isn't the issue, its the chunk missing from forward impact. It creates fatigue points in the aluminium.
    As Don mentioned, I would replace the LU due to that repair.
    Read post #10
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Missing a skeg part can be a major problem. Bent not so much an issue. We have them straightened in house and we weld skegs on if necessary.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Read post #10
    Whats post #10 have to do with my post?
    BCB stated the possible cause of the bend. Correct way to straighten a bent Skeg.

If you go to the Merc forum he has posted a pic of the skeg with a portion of the lower/forward missing. That's what my post was referencing.

Don
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 02-19-2020 at 12:27 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

We aren’t all going to the Mercury forum and thus many missed the missing chunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12