Thread: Lake Norris

Lake Norris

I will hopefully be spending one day on Lake Norris in Eustis next week. I’ve never fished in Florida so any pointers would be helpful. I will be in boat. Hoping to take a chatter bait and cruise the shallows until I get bit and then slow down with a Senko or a worm. I will also be staying on a 40 acre pond (Winter Garden) most of the week. I have access to a pontoon boat not sure if I have a trolling motor but wondering if i should have the same approach? Are fish bedding at this time? I’ll take any advice at this point. Just hoping to catch a few bass to break up the long winters in New England.

Yes, you will likely find fish in all stages of the spawn. There was a big wave of spawners last full moon...topwater...chatterbait...speedworm...crankb ait...spinnerbait...pick whichever is your favorite and start covering water. You will find some.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Norris can tough due to how black the water is. Square bills around the cypress trees and top water prop baits is what I have had best luck with around the mouth of black water creek. Good sized lake that gets very little pressure due to no access points except for a the occasional kyack. Please post your results.

4. Member
    How's everyone else get on there?
    I kayak up from blackwater creek.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

5. Member
    Boy Scout camp on north end but, closed to everyone else. A hand full of private homes at the end of Lk Norris road. Other than that, black water is the only access I am aware of. During high water I can get a John boat and 5hp up it. Was going up it on morning and as I passed under a fallen tree, the biggest bobcat I have ever seen came charging out of nowhere and leaped onto the tree and crossed right over me. We both locked eyes and I really thought it was coming for me before it launched nearly over the boat and on the tree. One of the wildest things that I have seen on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    Boy Scout camp on north end but, closed to everyone else. A hand full of private homes at the end of Lk Norris road. Other than that, black water is the only access I am aware of. During high water I can get a John boat and 5hp up it. Was going up it on morning and as I passed under a fallen tree, the biggest bobcat I have ever seen came charging out of nowhere and leaped onto the tree and crossed right over me. We both locked eyes and I really thought it was coming for me before it launched nearly over the boat and on the tree. One of the wildest things that I have seen on the water.
    Good ol' Florida

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

7. Member
    Planned on fishing Lake Norris today, but with the high winds we decided not to go. Thanks for those that shared some advice.
    I was staying on Lake Gifford in Winter Garden and managed to get out a few hours a day. Fishing was ok we caught a lot of 1 pound bass. My daughter did get a 7 pounder! Seemed like most of the fish we did catch are post spawn.