Rt198p must have jackplate

Hello, new here posting wise. I am ordering a 198p with power poles and was told by the dealer that ranger said it had to have a jackplate to have power poles. Anyone else heard of this? Has asked them to use the brackets that fit between the motor and transon.Got limited garage space or I'd just say sure.

I personnelly have not heard that. Saying that, I have 6 inch plate on mine mainly because of were I live and the body of water I fish. I would call Ranger or another dealer & ask them that question.

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    YES.... Power poles must be mounted on a J/P or it voids the warranty I was told. You need to call Ranger and talk to them directly about it.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

4. Member
    I was told by a Ranger dealer last week you do not need a plate. PowerPole makes a bracket that goes between the motor and the transom. The dealer was Dawson Boat Center in Scottsboro, AL

5. Member
    My 2017 198p came from the ranger had the powerpole mounted to the transom . No problems I’ve had it 3 years.

6. Member
    Yes, the sandwich plate is what I was thinking. However that atlas would be nice. Maybe i can cut a hole in the garage door.

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    YES.... Power poles must be mounted on a J/P or it voids the warranty I was told. You need to call Ranger and talk to them directly about it.
    Let me retract my statement. a Ranger RT188 needs a J/P Not sure about the 198P.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

Not sure about other motors but I know mercury does not recommend any sandwhich brackets for shallow water anchors. I recall it was posted on the merc forums. Probly the biggest reason they Have this recommendation since you can mount the power poles on the sides.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Not sure about other motors but I know mercury does not recommend any sandwhich brackets for shallow water anchors. I recall it was posted on the merc forums. Probly the biggest reason they Have this recommendation since you can mount the power poles on the sides.
    I remember this too AND it can affect your motors warranty! Just get the jackplate! It makes for a better performing boat, gives you a spot to mount your PPs and makes mounting SI transducer much easier!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I remember this too AND it can affect your motors warranty! Just get the jackplate! It makes for a better performing boat, gives you a spot to mount your PPs and makes mounting SI transducer much easier!
    I believe it was worded if there were any mounting bracket issues and a sandwhich bracket or evidence of one was used the warranty could be denied for that repair. Something about maintaining proper torque if i recall. Anyway something i would steer away from the manual jack plate or setback plate option is cheap and nothing negative can come from it just get it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I guess its no big deal that it wont fit in your garage since everybody has you lined up for a plate. I guess if i were in this situation id just skip the poles. Your boat will run better, keep your warranty, and not have to leave your garage door open.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    Went with the 4" hydrolic atlas after measuring the garage 14 times. Still may squeak it in.