Nitro Z20 Tow Rig

Picking up a 2018 Nitro Z20 in the next week or two and just curious what to expect with my current truck. I pulled a Z8 with a 2014 crew cab 1500 Silverado and it seemed just Fine, but I have recently purchased a 2016 regular cab silverado, 6.5' box. It's a 1500 with a 5.3L, 6 speed, and 3.08 gears with limited slip rear (4 wheel drive). I know its fairly close to the same truck specs, but I'm gonna be about 500 pounds lighter with this truck, and my boat will be a little heavier with 2 more batteries, more gear, and dual talons which the Z8 didn't have. I'm assuming I'll be fine, just curious if anyone has experience with a similar set-up? Don't see a lot of regular cabs anymore, let alone with them pulling 20' foots.

Appreciate any input!

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I have a F150 with a 4.2L 6cyl and it pulls my Z20 great. I think it pulls it better in some ways because my other boat was an single axle Z7 and the Z20 is a duel axle and it rides much smoother.
    Now, I'm not saying you can cruise up steep grades without knowing it but I had that with my Z7.

3. Member
    Trucks are so overbuilt these days you just don't need to worry about pulling power. Make sure the brakes are in proper working order and you are good to go.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

4. Member
    I had a similar question about tongue weight. How do you think the tongue weight of a tracker 195 would compare to that of a z20. My Silverado with a level kit almost needed airbags for the tracker 195, do you think it will be heavier or lighter on the tongue with the z20 tandem axle?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    F250 diesel here and its overkill pulling the z20. I
    If I didn't have a 5th wheel I'd be back in a 1500.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I had a similar question about tongue weight. How do you think the tongue weight of a tracker 195 would compare to that of a z20. My Silverado with a level kit almost needed airbags for the tracker 195, do you think it will be heavier or lighter on the tongue with the z20 tandem axle?
    Would assume heavier..Probably look like a Cali lean with your level on the front

I had an older regular cab chevy 1500 and towed my Ranger 487 all over the place and its s heavy boat. I did tow in 3 however in hilly areas you will be fine

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    This can't be right. I could pick up the tongue on a tracker 195 and pull it around myself. If your truck can barely handle that something is wrong.

A Z20 Pro has a package weight of 4,000lbs. Assume 10% tongue weight (in reality probably closer to 7% on a tandem axle trailer) and that is only 400lbs. Put 400lbs in the bed of your truck (behind the rear axle) and see how it drives. This isn't a perfect test but close enough.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    This can't be right. I could pick up the tongue on a tracker 195 and pull it around myself. If your truck can barely handle that something is wrong.

A Z20 Pro has a package weight of 4,000lbs. Assume 10% tongue weight (in reality probably closer to 7% on a tandem axle trailer) and that is only 400lbs. Put 400lbs in the bed of your truck (behind the rear axle) and see how it drives. This isn't a perfect test but close enough.
    Yeah, I'm not worried about tongue weight..... with the right reciever and ball height, my z8 only dropped my rear suspension about 2 inches, barely even level.... my only possible concern was pulling the boat out on steep slippery ramps..... I'm sure I'm fine was just looking for feedback from guys that may have similar set-ups....

I agree on the tracker C0MRAD..... only thing I really miss about my aluminum tracker with the single axle, I could push it around in the garage without having to use the truck..... fiberglass boat and tandem axle, not soo much

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post

Man, either my boat winch was forward on the trailer or I had way to much crap up front. I had a hell of a time moving my boat around by hand and I’m a relatively younger decently strong guy.

My truck didn’t struggle with the 195, but with the leveling kit it was slightly nose high with the boat attached. Just thinking the truck might look funny nose high with the new boat. It comes at the end of the month, will see then.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie 2.0 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not worried about tongue weight..... with the right reciever and ball height, my z8 only dropped my rear suspension about 2 inches, barely even level.... my only possible concern was pulling the boat out on steep slippery ramps..... I'm sure I'm fine was just looking for feedback from guys that may have similar set-ups....

I agree on the tracker C0MRAD..... only thing I really miss about my aluminum tracker with the single axle, I could push it around in the garage without having to use the truck..... fiberglass boat and tandem axle, not soo much

also, sorry for hijacking the thread Conrad. I have the exact same truck setup as you, with a double cab rather than regular cab. Never had problems launching, or retrieving buddies boats that are quite a bit heavier than the z20.