Removing sun fade and hard water from rods?

I have some rods that are on the older side and have some sun fade white stuff on them and some hard water on them. What is the best way to remove it? Can I use a compound or a wax to remove it or would that hurt the blank.

Try white vinegar to remove the hard water spots. I would not try to do anything to them regarding any oxidation from the sun, though. At best it won't help, at worst you'll damage them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    My wife laughs, but every year I wipe rods down with mild soap/water solution, dry off, then use ProTec on them. I have some rods that are 20+ years old and look really nice.

4. Member
    I use Bass Boat Saver on mine.

5. Member
    Simple Green

6. Member
    When ever I get a rod in for repair I will clean the grib will simple green and use meguiar's scratch X20 on the blank

7. Member
    I read in Bassmaster for years that any regular automotive wax was perfectly fine to put on and buff off of rods for cleaning and protecting. I do this myself at times and have never seen any ill effects.

8. Member
    I used to shine and protect my rods with automotive wax. It cleaned them up and made them look great. The last two years I've switched to Rem Oil in the aerosol can. I mist the rod and reel seat (don't do the grip). Take a soft cloth (old t shirt works great) and wipe it down. Cleans it up and adds a good looking shine to it.

If the above doesn't work, I'd try using vinegar to get any hard water spots.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

9. Member
    I use Auto wax on my rods. I have some that had gotten oxidized due to the sun. Cleaned well with soap and water. Applied a couple of coats of wax. brought them back to life.
    Also protects them from UV for a bit.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Member
    Thanks for all the info.

Update so far. I cleaned well with soap and water and that helped a ton. Now im just going to put a little auto wax on them and see what happens.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStickFishing View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

Update so far. I cleaned well with soap and water and that helped a ton. Now im just going to put a little auto wax on them and see what happens.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs