Livewell valve not operating.

I replaced my flow rite valve because the other was leaking. When I put the new one in It still leaked a little, but I couldn't turn the empty lever, and broke it off. I took the cable off and the cable would move when I turned the lever and the valve lever operated with no restriction with out the cable on it, but it won't move when I connect the cable to the valve. Is the cable just not smooth enough? I ordered a new cable and empty/fill lever. Hope that fixes it. It is a Ranger 521vx. 8' cable I assume.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gac1218 View Post
    I replaced my flow rite valve because the other was leaking. When I put the new one in It still leaked a little, but I couldn't turn the empty lever, and broke it off. I took the cable off and the cable would move when I turned the lever and the valve lever operated with no restriction with out the cable on it, but it won't move when I connect the cable to the valve. Is the cable just not smooth enough? I ordered a new cable and empty/fill lever. Hope that fixes it. It is a Ranger 521vx. 8' cable I assume.
    those things have always been a pain.just get on the net and you can see all the problems people have with the valves and the cable.what i have found is the less resrictions in the cable the better the valve works.dont go long periods of time and not use the valves.if you do you are asking for trouble.they will start sticking and finally break.thanks,good luck and good fishing
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Quote Originally Posted by gac1218 View Post
    Those things are a PITA !! I "Service" mine when I do my YEARLY service. I remove the cable at both ends, shoot some WD-40 in from the control arm end and work the cable aback and forth a few times and repeat, repeat. Then I put lithium white grease on the control and the valve arms. Seems to work much better than new, and lasts the whole year long !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Those things do suck. I removed mine

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Those things do suck. I removed mine
    They do suck. I can’t believe they still put them in boats. I’ve hated every boat of mine that had them.

6. Member
    Did you order the correct valve. They have ones the cable comes from the front. And ones that the cable connects to the rear. Sounds like the cable is trying to operate the valve in the wrong direction.

7. Member
    I replaced the cable and the empty/fill switch and all works now. I think the end of the cable sitting down on the bilge gets dirty and every time it is operated it pushes dirt and grim into the cable sheath. I guess I could have cleaned and lubricated it but a new cable was like $17.

8. Member
    I had the same issues. I ended up disconnecting the cable and leaving the valve in the open position. Removed the treaded drain screen from the bottom of the livewell. Then made a pvc pipe with the threaded end that attached to he drain. Livewell will stay filled to the top of the pvc pipe. When I am done for he day I just unscrew the pipe to drain. Been like this for 15 years now.