2013 Merc 250 ProXs vs same year Racing 250

Looking at a boat that has a 2013 250 ProXs hanging on it and wondering what the mechanical differences are between this motor and the racing version. I've read the gear case is the only difference but have also need some posts about the reeds and mounts being different. Do both have solid mounts and carbon reeds? What about the air compressor and if that year has the updated blue pully one??

2. Member
    I think one of the biggest things is the XS is available with a sportsmaster where the Pro XS is not. I think to get the sporty on the Pro you have to go Pro Sport. I am not sure if the production motors have steel reeds or not.
    Sometime around 2006 the XS no longer needed premium gas. At that point I think there was little difference between the XS and production XS. Some of the experts will be along shortly.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to obtain (and provide) the required Engine Serial Number. This helps in ACCURATELY identifying the engine you're looking at (especially since Mercury doesn't use "years").

In general: Decals, Gearcase, gearcase mounting studs, adapter plate/mounts are the primary differences. Powerhead itself was identical.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    1B975810

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesCoffin View Post
    1B975810
    250 ProXS Gen-2 Torquemaster 1.75, built 1/22/13.

The same month's Racing 250 Sport XS would have differed as mentioned above: (Decals, Gearcase, gearcase mounting studs, adapter plate/mounts are the primary differences. Powerhead itself was identical.).

The "Sport XS" came with a Sportmaster Gearcase. In addition- it was available in a traditional "Bass" Midsection, and also available in an Offshore Midsection (HD Mid, Single-Cylinder Trim/Tilt Ram, Hydraulic Pump mounted in the boat).

Again- the powerheads (and peripherals mounted on the powerheads) were essentially identical.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you, Sir..