2011 250 Pro XS 250 lower unit won't hold pressure

Serial #1B561905
    So quick run down, went fishing and when I pulled the boat out at ramp noticed a wad of braid fishing line wrapped around prop.
    I pull prop off and remove what would compare to an Osprey nest on prop shaft and prop.
    No sign of any leakage with the motor trimmed down overnight but decided to take it in to authorized Mercury dealer near me
    to change out gear oil and double check for seal leak. Good part was on the oil drain no water in housing, But he is telling me that during pressure test
    it would not hold 15# of pressure and I have a leak somewhere and would only hold about 8-10# of pressure.
    Now I'm no Merc mechanic by any means but can someone tell me how you can apply air pressure and not see oil coming out somewhere during process
    if there is a seal leak? To find the seal leak he tells me 4-5 hrs labor plus parts to determine problem because he has to take lower unit off and open up and suggested water pump replace, impeller,
    and all seals. I feel like I am getting hosed here and looking at $6-900 to replace seals due to fishing line. Remember there was no water in oil at time of drain or any oil leaking out of unit. Why 8-10# of pressure and not 0 if a leak?
    Am I out of line or is the normal cost and procedure taken? Will insurance take care of this issue?

For a thousand dollars, I would not file a claim with insurance. Save that for a major repair.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

It is the price to pay for our hobby. I would not go through insurance either. $900 is not out of line either. Have you looked to see what a replacement LU is going to cost if it were to grenade?

Here is a quote from Don on a thread where my son hit a small log while running that may help. I have a pressure tester and was going to check it myself. Mine failed...

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

-Kiddie Bubble Mix make s a GREAT leak checker

-Test at several different pressures (example: 2, 6, 10, 14 (max) psi).

Some seals may leak at lower pressures, but not at higher pressure (or just the opposite).

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I had A lower unit completely resealed and it didn't cost near that a few years back.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1. Gear lube is drained before performing a proper Pressure Test.

2. Seal leaks are located with soapy water (which causes pretty bubbles to appear where leaks are).

3. Flat rate time for resealing is under 3 hours labor. Add a reasonable amount for diagnostic time, and multiply times labor rate.

4. Cost of seal kit, impeller, and gear lube.

5. Sum of the above amounts should be pretty close to your subtotal.

(Do your own math for this... since we don't know your shop, their labor rate, or parts prices).

Very likely that the leak is coming from the INNER Propshaft seal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I had my lower unit pressure tested 6 years ago at a shop, but I took the lower unit off and took it in near the end of winter. Seal and water pump replaced for ~$100. I recently put together a pressure tester and will be testing mine this Spring when I remove the lower unit to replace the impeller.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It is the price to pay for our hobby. I would not go through insurance either. $900 is not out of line either. Have you looked to see what a replacement LU is going to cost if it were to grenade?

Here is a quote from Don on a thread where my son hit a small log while running that may help. I have a pressure tester and was going to check it myself. Mine failed...
    What failed? The lower unit pressure test?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    What failed? The lower unit pressure test?
    The pressure test failed. It would not hold anything above about 3psi.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The pressure test failed. It would not hold anything above about 3psi.
    Gotcha!

10. Member
    Thing is, that might not have been caused by hitting the small log. Could have been the seals were just failing slowly and you caught them prior to serious failure by testing. They are rubber, which ages, gets hard, cracks and leaks. Slowly at first, unless you suck in a bunch of fishing line and let it get under the prop shaft seals. Particularly important to know which seal(s) were leaking. IE shift/driveshaft seals are not likely to be affected by hitting a small log. But neither is the prop shaft seal for that matter.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Member
    Did they have the lower unit off when pressure testing? There are two seals on the top that can only be seen when you have the lower unit off. The braid may only be a coincidence and your real issue could be the drive shaft seal or the shift shaft seal. These two are easy to handle yourself. I wouldn't automatically assume prop shaft.

12. Member
    Got the leak fixed and you are correct, both driveshaft and shift shaft seal needed replaced.
    New waterpump, impeller and lube and back in business.
    Bill was $657.00 I feel better now that it's repaired and the wrapped up braid was unrelated to my leak issue. Thanks for you help everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Did they have the lower unit off when pressure testing? There are two seals on the top that can only be seen when you have the lower unit off. The braid may only be a coincidence and your real issue could be the drive shaft seal or the shift shaft seal. These two are easy to handle yourself. I wouldn't automatically assume prop shaft.