How to run electronics wiring??

I have been having several Solix issues since day one and am now attempting to run 10 gauge power wire to the affected unit. I am a novice and have no idea how to get a wire from the console area back to battery in the bilge area. Is there a special tool to help do this? I find access to the channel the wire needs to go in in the bilge area is very hard to reach. Yes, I could take it to someone and have them do it but the wait time around here is approx. one month. I have already been without a boat close to six months attempting to fix various issues and I simply give up. I need to learn how to do this myself. Thanks for your help.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

2. Member
    Get a wire fish kit at harbor freight the yellow one with threaded brass ends I found works best. Fish it through the rigging tube. Tape your wire to it and pull it through

3. Member
    I ran a separate fuse panel for my solix 15s. Use the yellow wire fish kit as mentioned. Made running the wires very easy. I’d never done it before either.

4. Banned
    It can be a real pain in the tail on some boats. If you know the folks there are reputable then I would wait.

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb0824 View Post
    I have been having several Solix issues since day one and am now attempting to run 10 gauge power wire to the affected unit. I am a novice and have no idea how to get a wire from the console area back to battery in the bilge area. Is there a special tool to help do this? I find access to the channel the wire needs to go in in the bilge area is very hard to reach. Yes, I could take it to someone and have them do it but the wait time around here is approx. one month. I have already been without a boat close to six months attempting to fix various issues and I simply give up. I need to learn how to do this myself. Thanks for your help.
    You Tube is your best friend.....I run all my electronics, it's really not that hard. It is more patience and taking the time to do it.

6. Member
    If you are desperate you can find a wire that goes from the battery area to the console you could disconnect it at the battery, and pull a wire or rope through with it. Then you could hook two OR MORE wires to it and pull it back. This would give you a spare for future use.

7. Member
    pull you a spare wire when you do this so that you will have a pull wire the next time!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

8. Member
    If you need to run several wires but want to do it one at a time.... get a long string or “speaker wire” that is at least twice as long as the distance you are running, pull it all the way through until the other end is almost going out the back. Tape your wire you’re running to the speaker wire and pull them both through, now you have your new wire through and the speaker wire is still there for additional cables.

9. Member
    I would not recommend speaker wire because you can actually rip it apart with just your hands. You need something that can stand a 200 pound force if it gets stuck. I think the ideal situation would be wires soldered together with some dilectric grease on the wire.

10. Member
    I pulled cables for a living and what I recommend is that you get a wire snake it doesn't have to have a fancy brass end most just have a curled over end forming a loop. Push that through the wire pipe then attach the cable and a piece of heavy cord that you will leave in the pipe for the next time. Tape the cable to the snake with at least a 6" over lap and use enough electrical tape that you taper both ends so the connector doesn't hang up when you pull and also so the connector is not getting pulled on. What can happen is if there are already cables in the pipe, and sometimes there are shift cables and the steering cable, the snake will go between them and when you pull they hang up at that point. If it does you can try moving the bundle while you are pulling. If now lube may help. The places that sell the wire snakes normally have cable lube. It is messy but sometimes you have to have it. Btw you will have to pull back and lube the head of the pull where the tape is. If this doesn't work you will need to start over and hope the snake goes through a better place. Some of these cable pipes are to small or already have to much through them then you will have to find another way. These connectors they use on some cables are petty large. When I bought my new Crestliner it had the very small HB sounder in the console and the pipe was full I can't pull it out. There is no alternate path to pull the other cables so I had to run them along the edge of the deck. At least there was a space under the T Track I could put them. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N w/Mega 360 mounted of Fishing Specialties 360 Mount
    Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI G2N
    Garmin GPSMAP 1042 XSV w/LiveScope mounted on Fishing Specialties Bowducer Assy
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N
    Garmin GPSMap 922
    Humminbird PiranaMAX for high speed depth readings

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    I pulled cables for a living and what I recommend is that you get a wire snake it doesn't have to have a fancy brass end most just have a curled over end forming a loop. Push that through the wire pipe then attach the cable and a piece of heavy cord that you will leave in the pipe for the next time. Tape the cable to the snake with at least a 6" over lap and use enough electrical tape that you taper both ends so the connector doesn't hang up when you pull and also so the connector is not getting pulled on. What can happen is if there are already cables in the pipe, and sometimes there are shift cables and the steering cable, the snake will go between them and when you pull they hang up at that point. If it does you can try moving the bundle while you are pulling. If now lube may help. The places that sell the wire snakes normally have cable lube. It is messy but sometimes you have to have it. Btw you will have to pull back and lube the head of the pull where the tape is. If this doesn't work you will need to start over and hope the snake goes through a better place. Some of these cable pipes are to small or already have to much through them then you will have to find another way. These connectors they use on some cables are petty large. When I bought my new Crestliner it had the very small HB sounder in the console and the pipe was full I can't pull it out. There is no alternate path to pull the other cables so I had to run them along the edge of the deck. At least there was a space under the T Track I could put them. Don
    Silicone spray is what my guy uses and it works good with less mess. I had a XXXX brand 21 foot boat and we couldn't budge the cables. Installer has a gooseneck camera and we found the OEM had wire-tied the transducer cables to the harness.

I read these comments and wonder how many guys have watched youtube and then has a $300 + disaster. My installer had a guy tell him that $300 for one unit was to much. He got the end of a Mege + si transducer stuck and had to cut it off. Final cost was $650 ..... LOL You normally get what you pay for :-)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    Silicone spray is what my guy uses and it works good with less mess. I had a XXXX brand 21 foot boat and we couldn't budge the cables. Installer has a gooseneck camera and we found the OEM had wire-tied the transducer cables to the harness.

I read these comments and wonder how many guys have watched youtube and then has a $300 + disaster. My installer had a guy tell him that $300 for one unit was to much. He got the end of a Mege + si transducer stuck and had to cut it off. Final cost was $650 ..... LOL You normally get what you pay for :-)
    If you don't tape those connectors up real good there is a good chance to damage one. I cover the connector with electrical tape and taper the build up of tape so there is a taper from connector to pull wire. Also you want to be pulling on the cable and not just the connector. It is not uncommon for the wires in the pipe to become a rats nest then you push the fish tape through the mess and the connector doesn't go through the mess like the skinny fish tape. The 2" pipe on my bay boat has two steering hoses and a shift cable plus the manafactures bundle and some lines I pulled it is packed and I can't even pull my extra pull string which is Mule Tape which I have tied to the hitch on my truck for long pulls for buried cable. It is tough stuff.
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    If you don't tape those connectors up real good there is a good chance to damage one. I cover the connector with electrical tape and taper the build up of tape so there is a taper from connector to pull wire. Also you want to be pulling on the cable and not just the connector. It is not uncommon for the wires in the pipe to become a rats nest then you push the fish tape through the mess and the connector doesn't go through the mess like the skinny fish tape. The 2" pipe on my bay boat has two steering hoses and a shift cable plus the manafactures bundle and some lines I pulled it is packed and I can't even pull my extra pull string which is Mule Tape which I have tied to the hitch on my truck for long pulls for buried cable. It is tough stuff.
    I'm sure you know this but my guy has a couple of fish tapes with empty shot shells on them. One for Helix ends and one for Solix. If they won't go through the end won't either :-)

I've helped some and most aren't terrible. He charges extra for Rangers and won't touch center consoles no matter the brand.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I'm sure you know this but my guy has a couple of fish tapes with empty shot shells on them. One for Helix ends and one for Solix. If they won't go through the end won't either :-)

I've helped some and most aren't terrible. He charges extra for Rangers and won't touch center consoles no matter the brand.
    By tapering the connector end with electrical tape down to the fish tape so there is no edge to catch it will pass between petty tight wire bundles. You best taper the end of the connector back to the cable just in case it gets stuck and you have to pull it back. All my boats up to this bass boat have been center consoles and I know why he doesn't do them they can be a real pita. Manufactures seam to want to only give you one route to the bow and that is where the tm power cables run. Not the best route for electronics cables. Finding another path can and normally is a problem.
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922