Thread: Battery

Battery

What’s a good cranking battery for the new 4s 250hp that won’t break the bank?
    Last edited by 5pigs; 02-13-2020 at 06:23 AM.

2. Member
    I depends on which 4s. 10-300 hp Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by howieranger; 02-13-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Needs to be an AGM, with 975 CCA (or better). Do NOT use the "MCA" ratings or CCA Ratings... there is a lot of questionable "print" information on this in various manuals.

There are a number of brands that carry a large 31 series AGM with 1050+ CCA ratings. Batteries Plus, Northstar, etc.

Once your engine and battery are together- be sure to provide the Required info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Batteries plus X2 Great battery With a good warranty.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Batteries plus X2 Great battery With a good warranty.
    This!

6. Member
    Wow that’s a 400$ battery. I guess when I get my new 4 stroke what’s another 400 lol

It's just money
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Watch their Coupon Codes on their website- If you order online (and pickup in store) you can often get at least a 10% discount.

Also make sure you take a core with you... $21 when I last checked.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Had the Northstar in last 2 boats. Great battery.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    Had the Northstar in last 2 boats. Great battery.
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Can anyone tell me the reason Mercury requires an AGM battery on the new 4 stroke?

I am not disputing it, I just would like to understand why.

Thanks

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While there are likely a number of reasons, the two most important would be:

-Throttle and Shift System demands/requirements ***

-ICBM (Idle Charge Battery Management) Strategies require consistent battery type.

*** Even the "mechanical" models are Digital Throttle and Shift engines- AGM batteries have been required with DTS equipped engines for many years.

13. Member
    Thanks for the information....

So my dealer put a flooded cranking battery in my boat until the factory sends him an AGM that was supposed to be in the boat when he got it.

I guess I will not run it until the AGM is installed.....

very frustrating.....

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013sabre View Post
    Thanks for the information....

So my dealer put a flooded cranking battery in my boat until the factory sends him an AGM that was supposed to be in the boat when he got it.

I guess I will not run it until the AGM is installed.....

very frustrating.....
    A lot of dealers don't know. I bought a 250 Verado equipped boat a few years back and had to explain it to the dealer, he sold mostly skeeter/Yamaha and didn't know Merc very well.

16. Member
    Look at the Duracell 31 mag, it's a great battery for the money. Made by East Peen, who also makes Deka.

I 2nd the AGM style, my previous dealer put wet cell batteries on my twin verados, and its caused havoc for just over a year.....until (I) figured out the problem....and, after they had replaced half the electronics on my boat!