250ss cavitation or blow out while on plane.

I have posted on Suzuki forum but want to try here. Just re-powered a 2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL with a brand new 250ss. It came with a 14.5 x29 four blade Suzuki prop. Hole shot is awesome but when I get up on plane and trimming up to increase speed after 3000 rpms, it breaks loose. It’s like it is starting to blowout. Or maybe cavitation. I have to trim down which buries the bow again. Or I’m feathering throttle. Hydraulic jack plate so got to be the prop? Suggestions?

2. Member
    You might have to change the way you drive your boat a little bit. Maybe you need to have max throttle and trim up to increase your rpms. That's how I drive my Bass Cat Puma anyway. Another option is maybe slowly lower your jackplate once you are on plane and while maintaining bow lift. I'd check to see how much of a rooster tail that you are throwing up and ensure that your motor is not too high.

In regards to it being the prop, I'd have it looked at or try a different prop. I have the same 29P Suzuki prop and had zero issues with it blowing out, but I also run it only in the winter and run a 27 or 28P in the warmer months. Some people also run Scorpion props as well with good luck.

Lastly, welcome to our quiet section of BBC since we don't complain too much about our Suzuki's breaking in here.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Maybe the motor is mounted too high. If you have a jackplate drop it down an inch. Blowing out is sucking air down from the surface. At least that's the way I see it.
    I do not recommend a whale tail BUT it sure gave me one hell of a good hole shot.
    And we do complain about our Suzy's breaking in here. It doesn't happen too often. I mean, otherwise we might as well own the other black motor and have hundreds more times the breakage. Then we'd have a lot of time to complain because our boats would be in the shop.

My Stratos will blow out if I bring the trim up too fast, at least it used to before I put a tail on it. Now it just shitzengits.

4. Member
    So I was still baffled then realized I did not see trim tab underneath the ventilation plate. Sure enough not one there like on the old VMAX that came off. Do you guys have one on your 250ss?

5. Member
    Most motors that size use hydraulic steering. With hydraulic you don't need that tab but you should have a round flat filler in the space.

6. Member
    Update. Dropped the motor two holes and that has fixed it. Found the sweet spot with trim and hydraulic jack plate once up and running. Thank you for your responses. Now it’s time to figure out prop. Came with 14.5 x 29 four blade and will only turn 5400. Any suggestions? I have a 15.25 x 27 on the old Vmax???

7. Member
    I would recommend a 4 bladed Suzuki 14.5" 27P prop and see if that would maximize your RPMS. Just curious, what was top end speed with the 29P?
    Last edited by booter; 02-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

8. Member
    5400 definitely not in that motor's power band. You said you got a good hole shot with the 29 but can't get top RPM. Those two symptoms don't usually go together.

May not be getting full throttle. I don't think it's possible to go low enough to get excessive drag from the L/U.

The easiest thing to do would be less pitch except with a 15.25 inch diameter that prop 27 will probably push as much water as the 14.5 inch 29. Bigger diameters have quite an effect on thrust.
    Trial and error or consulting with Mark Croxton.

Ask Booter what he's running, he recommended a 27 but didn't specify what pitch and diameter he's running.

I run a Mark Croxton Razor 26 pitch 4 blade. I believe it is 14.5" diameter. You should give him a call. He is a sponsor here on the BBC and you can also google search his name. Make sure he knows you are a member here.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X