USA Battery Charger - leave on?

Should i leave my charger plugged up between fishing trips? It’s a Dual Pro 4 bank charger....

thanks
    2020 - Ranger 520L Midnight Fox | Mercury 4S 250 - Go Boldly! | Atlas Jackplate | Ultrex | Lowrance Active Target | Power Poles !!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I recommend it. If you have a conventional battery, check the water about once a month until you get a feel for water use.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I will leave mine on overnight if the batteries are not done charging but as soon as I wake up will unplug

4. Member
    I don’t....plug in after fishing until green, top off before going fishing and every few weeks throughout the winter.

5. Member
    I fish a lot. I just plug mine in over night. If the boat was going to set a month or more I think I'd plug it back in for a couple of hours.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    The Dual Pro's charger's profile includes an automatic 30 day off stage that if power is interrupted resets applying an unnecessary full charging cycle.

So folks regularly cycling theirs on/off maywell actually be charging more likely with some overcharging and unnecessary water loss compared with someone that just leaves theirs plugged in 24/7 as both the charger and many battery manufacturers typically recommend.

7. Member
    I had a Dual Pro 3 bank charger and left it plugged in. I just purchased and installed a Minn Kota MK 440 PC today and plan to leave it plugged in as well.

8. Member
    I had a Dual Pro. When I called them and asked that question, I was told not to leave it on for extended periods.

9. Member
    My Minn Kota never is turned off unless on the water. Once fully charged they will go into a maintenance mode only.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I had a Dual Pro. When I called them and asked that question, I was told not to leave it on for extended periods.
    That just raises another question, what do they consider an extended period? I would leave mine plugged in for no more than a week between fishing trips. To me, that's not an extended period. I could see if someone lives up north and doesn't use their boat all winter as being an extended period.

11. Member
    The length of time is of little consequence. If you don't have access you it,either leave it on and hope it does what it is supposed to do(Minn Kota or Dual Pro) or completely disconnect a fully charged battery and top it off 3 or 4 months later. If you can check on it periodically turn it off in between short charging periods. I trust both companies newer chargers. I don't know about the rest. I don't leave my charger plugged in overnight if I don't have to. Lightning is not good for batteries and chargers. I found out long ago. Most in the north don't have those issues in the winter ,very often. Like everything in life, there are risks. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    This question. "to leave plugged in or not to" seems to have different opinions for some. I saw a post on a different place while doing a Google search on the subject and a party had posted an email reply from Dual Pro that stated it is NOT necessary to unplug their charger(s). That is opposite of what a post here stated that Dual Pro told them.
    I have had my 4 bank DP on my 2006 Ranger since new and (hope I don't curse myself here) have always left it plugged in without any issues. Sometimes it will set for as much as 4 months plugged in and I feel my batteries do pretty well. The last 8 batteries I have had in the boat have lasted 4 years on each set.
    However, my Mercury mechanic that has done my yearly maintenance forever just told me yesterday it is not necessary or a good thing to leave the charger plugged in all the time. That is why I thought I would see what you good people on this site had to say on the subject. Now I am just as confused on what to do.
    Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by TULSABOB; 03-28-2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    TulsaBob Temme
    '06 Z20
    10" Bobs Hydraulic plate
    25 Tempest
    '06 Merc 225 Opti

13. Member
    TB, I've had my DP in my 2006 Champion since 2007. I have charged my batteries pretty much just the opposite as you. Plug in after an outing, then unplug when charged. My boat is out of service for about 5 months a year. November - April, harsh winter months. Champion stored outside. Full charge in November unplug until April, plug back in in April, historically it takes about 5-10 minutes til all batteries come back to full charge.

We both have had excellent results. Looks like it is up to the individual as far as DP chargers go.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

14. Member
    I unplug all chargers as soon as they are finished charging. I am more worried about a power surge or possibly lightning strike damaging my whole system! With 14 batteries in my boat (10) lithium’s it could be expensive to replace!

15. Member
    The minnkota pc goes into long term maintenance mode 12 hrs after a full charge. It stops delivering current until it detects the battery has dropped below a certain voltage. I just leave it plugged in 24-7.

16. Member
    I look at it this way. A charger can malfunction, and fry a battery which puts explosive gases in the air. A battery can short out or run out of water and overheat on charge. These things are variables. If both are in tip-top shape nothing goes wrong. If there isn't a power surge or lightning strike or short in the power cord or something. Once they are charged, and if unhooked, and then hooked back up, most chargers will quickly analyze the battery, top it off and it's done.

If it takes a while something isn't right, usually with the battery.