some airbrushing questions

I apologize in advance if this has been beaten to death before. I recently got into making crankbaits and topwater baits with PVC trimboard. I'm learning with each attempt and have made a few fishable lures so far. Because I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not, I decided to wait before getting any airbrushing equipment. So right now I've just been using my wife and daughter's finger nail polish. At this point I find myself really enjoying things and want to start looking at airbrushes. However, having never used one before, I'm unsure of a lot of things. I do know that I want a gravity fed airbrush, but beyond that I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I don't want to spend a lot but also don't want to get something that is going to either do a poor job or something that's going to break down in a week. I'm sure that like most things, you get what you pay for, so I'm looking for a balance between performance and price. So here's my list of questions:

Is there a certain size needle/nozzle that will do a good overall job? It seems as though .2mm or .3mm are most popular, so I'm not sure if I should get one size over the other or get both? I don't plan on having a lot of intricate details on my baits, at least not until I get good at it.

Are there any specific things to look for or watch out for with regards to the airbrush itself?

With regards to the air compressor, is there anything specific to look for? What advantages/disadvantages does a compressor made for airbrushing have over a standard pancake style air compressor?

Am I going to be better off getting a kit including the airbrush and compressor, or better off buying separately? Should I be looking only at new or is there a lot of good used stuff available?

I plan on going with Createx paints and KBS Diamond Clear for a top coat. Anything wrong with that combo or anything I should be aware of with either of those things?

Sorry for so many questions. Any help I can get on any of the questions will be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm a big fan of a .05 needle airbrush. It shoots anything I want. Even fine glitter paint and glitter clears. As well and any metallic. I shoot a lot of craft paint with it as well once thinned down with water.

All for $11.89 shipped to you...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravity-Fee...53.m1438.l2649

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    $11.89...really?? I was expecting to spend at least $100 for a decent airbrush. Do you find you need to replace it quite often (no durability), or has it been fine? Obviously for that price I could buy 2-3 and have a spare or two. Thanks for the link.

4. Banned
    I started with an Iwata Revolution hp-cr with a .5 needle. I recently bought the Iwata Neo .35 from hobby lobby (with the 40% coupon it is only 35.99!!!). Ive been painting for a few years, and that Neo is almost as good as my revolution. I still use both for different things.

If you really enjoy doing this, I suggest the Neo to start. It is a quality gun, and you wont get discouraged by a crappy spray pattern.

Air-compressor, I have a old one from my garage I use, any is fine. Just make sure you use a regulator. Start practicing between 20-30 psi, then gradually bring it down once you get better.

5. Banned
    Also, if you run into tip dry (you will), start using some of this Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver in your paint.

Use the wicked/createx reducer. I like a 2% milk consistency, but play with how thin you like.

For practice painting, I use a square piece of glass (old picture frame). Glass is a very hard, non-porous medium, so if you can get your lines the way you like on that, you can on a blank.

Don't expect perfection right away, stick with it and you will get better. Practice normal airbrush skills, dagger stroke, circles and whatnot, that will help form muscle memory.

I keep the first bait I thought was "good" near my booth, just as a reminder. I still can't believe I thought that was good (I'll post a pic later for a laugh).

6. Member
    Eck74, thanks for the suggestions! I pretty much have figured that I will be starting with some very basic color schemes (chartreuse/black back, sexy shad) to gain both experience and confidence. I've never been very artistic, so I'm not expecting to turn into a great painter. I just want to get good enough that I'm not embarrassed to show my hand-made baits to someone due to the horrible paint job.

A question or two about the compressor. I read or saw somewhere about how you want to make sure you have a moisture trap or moisture separator on your air compressor. Is this true, or is it not a big deal? And with regards to air pressure, what is the advantage of spraying at 10 or 15 psi instead of 20-30 like you said to start with?

7. Banned
    as for the lower pressure, i can get a cleaner fine line. Less air pressure so the paint moves slower and less "overspray".

The moisture traps are cheap. I have a moisture trap and regulator as one. like this https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-R-75-.../dp/B000BR2STI

8. Member
    Awesome, thanks for the link! And for the info about air pressure.

The Iwata Revolution is a great starter airbrush.