Custom fabrication

I am not implying it would be easy to do, but was wondering if anyone has custom fabricated their decks? Ie, raised the deck, reconfigured compartments, extended rod lockers, etc
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

2. Member
    Dig in this forum and you will find lots of those builds. Not hard
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

I have dug through and saved many of the pics for inspiration.

What I am asking is if anyone has actually totally reconfigured the topcap deck(s). An example, would be say an older boat, and as we know most have short decks and a lot want the deck extension. But instead of building onto the existing top cap configuration, they actually build it to/as part of the topcap configuration by way of fiberglassing it in matching the existing construction. I have seen plenty 1/2" plywood/coosa, 2x2 (2x4), aluminum then carpet builds.
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

4. Member
    Adding too much weight to an existing stable platform could result in a poor handling or unstable fishing platform. I converted a step extension that was just a shelf with nothing under it, to a closed hinged lid compartment with matching rug on my older Ranger 462, but going beyond that would be my limit.

5. Member

6. Member
    I'm redoing an old Skeeter,. Adding storage where there was none, extending the front deck and two storage boxes in the extension. Level with the existing front deck. I plan on glassing/flooring it all smooth. Is that what you're talking about?
    My previous boat, a g3, I added a rod locker and two storage lockers. Level with the front deck. Same flooring as the existing flooring.

7. Member
    Built a few custom Corvettes in my younger days. Would not scare me if it was what I really wanted. Just be sure you have the time talent and funds to do the job right. Also consider the compartments under the deck will need to be changed and glassed in also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeleur View Post
    I have dug through and saved many of the pics for inspiration.

What I am asking is if anyone has actually totally reconfigured the topcap deck(s). An example, would be say an older boat, and as we know most have short decks and a lot want the deck extension. But instead of building onto the existing top cap configuration, they actually build it to/as part of the topcap configuration by way of fiberglassing it in matching the existing construction. I have seen plenty 1/2" plywood/coosa, 2x2 (2x4), aluminum then carpet builds.

Quote Originally Posted by MJMJ View Post
    Yes. How did that work out?
    US Navy veteran

Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Built a few custom Corvettes in my younger days. Would not scare me if it was what I really wanted. Just be sure you have the time talent and funds to do the job right. Also consider the compartments under the deck will need to be changed and glassed in also.
    Agree. I was just wondering. I see the extensions and I get it. I've broke too many rods falling in the hole and nearly myself a few times..LOL

But I see some of the builds and am sitting here thinking...man, that 3/4" and 2x4 build is going to have some serious weight. I redid the floor in my home and that 3/4" sheet of plywood was ridiculously heavy. There has to be a better way. Why not fiberglass it using temp molds and a much thinner, 1/4" if you want it to have wood reinforcement, then remove the mold when done. My 89 Champion, only has about a 1/8" thick fiberglass/gelcoat skin on many of its components. Obviously corners, and floor edges are build up more.
    US Navy veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    I'm redoing an old Skeeter,. Adding storage where there was none, extending the front deck and two storage boxes in the extension. Level with the existing front deck. I plan on glassing/flooring it all smooth. Is that what you're talking about?
    My previous boat, a g3, I added a rod locker and two storage lockers. Level with the front deck. Same flooring as the existing flooring.
    Yes. I've seen some of our boats and their is only 2-3 storage areas, minus a rod locker. My ChampioN has 1 compartment, a locker, one much shorter locker, and 2 very small under seat areas. I could carry maybe 7-8 3700's in the center storage. There is absolutely no storage for a co-angler or teammate in my 20 footer, let alone a way for him to secure his rods (except just lay them out on the seat)
    US Navy veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Radeleur View Post
    Agree. I was just wondering. I see the extensions and I get it. I've broke too many rods falling in the hole and nearly myself a few times..LOL

But I see some of the builds and am sitting here thinking...man, that 3/4" and 2x4 build is going to have some serious weight. I redid the floor in my home and that 3/4" sheet of plywood was ridiculously heavy. There has to be a better way. Why not fiberglass it using temp molds and a much thinner, 1/4" if you want it to have wood reinforcement, then remove the mold when done. My 89 Champion, only has about a 1/8" thick fiberglass/gelcoat skin on many of its components. Obviously corners, and floor edges are build up more.
    I would never put wood in a boat today unless I was building a boat completely out of wood, plenty of other options out there. just my opinion, of course.

If I had time and money (a lot of both really). I would cut my boat in half and lengthen it by about 2 feet or so. I have seen a few saltwater boats done here in the Northeast, made wider and longer. I don't think it's really worth it on a bass boat. You could most likely buy something bigger for less money than it will cost you to build.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    I would never put wood in a boat today unless I was building a boat completely out of wood, plenty of other options out there. just my opinion, of course.
    Price the coosa, or similar . Would I like to put that in my boat, instead of wood? For the longevity, yes. For the upfront price? No. Plus shipping for the material. Nowhere near me carries it.

14. Member
    Its great. I used padding under the carpet. It took me all last winter, but was well worth it. Not including the carpet and padding, it added 53lbs to the boat

Price the coosa, or similar . Would I like to put that in my boat, instead of wood? For the longevity, yes. For the upfront price? No. Plus shipping for the material. Nowhere near me carries it.
    I just got 2 pieces of 3/4” 48” x 32” shipped to MA, $110 each piece and $15 for shipping for both. Ordered on Thursday and it was delivered on Sunday by Fedex.

I found a place that had a good price on marine plywood and with shipping it was almost as much as Coosa 26 before shipping. So I started looking at ACX (Especially after seeing AC stamped under my floor on the back of the floor). I can get it for $24 a 4x8x1/2 sheet.

I think there comes a point of diminished return. Are we ever going to get even a fraction of what we spend back? I don't really think we do. So, I guess you just build what you want how you want. Also, consider how many people would have the proper space (shops, stalls, spray booths, etc), tools (pneumatic, electric and hand), and machinery (lifts, turners, etc) to be able to do it. Sure rojo and Frank have nice shops...for me, I have a 12x25x6 1/2 garage. My boat barely fits with my motor sticking out a door. That would mean something is outside and certainly not enough clearance to remove top caps, etc in the garage.
    US Navy veteran

17. Member
    Radeleur - very true.

18. Member
    I bought 3 of these portable "Car Garages" from Growers Supply and store the Hulls & Caps under them to dry out.
    They were on closeout for less than $1K each. Not exactly as link but size is the same. You need a little room to work. My shop was built for me to build T-Tops so it had to be big. Nobody around here would replace transoms so that is how the glass work started here. I spray all the gelcoat under one of these too. If you take your project to completion you will regret putting any wood in it. We rode to BPS for their "Crappie Madness" weekend, I'm still reeling from the "Sticker Shock" of the cheap glass bass boats. Coosa gets real cheap compared to $400/Mo for 180 months.
    https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?mfPartNumber=PB03010R5N

19. Member
    Look on bateau2.com in the restoration section. They use thin marine plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass to rebuild and build boats. I built an 18' flats style boat from plywood sheets and have a 90 Mercury on it. Their forum is very active and guys will answer questions. Numerous threads with pictures show I g how to do stuff.

20. Member