2000 175 hp EFI motor cuts out while running

175 Efi ser# T068667. Over the last two seasons I have had some trouble with this motor. While running down the lake around 45-50 mph the motor will just stop running. I will go back and pump the bulb ( not completely flat) and it will start right up and not happen the rest of the day. It is happening more often now . Has been looked at a couple of times by local mechanics. One rebuilt the diaphragm on the fuel pump and said next would we would need to look at the the high pressure fuel pump. Most recent mechanic cleaned the screen to the high pressure pump and said that should work. Not sure where to go from hear, I don’t mind spending the money to get this working but so far I’ve spent over $1500 for this problem with some maintenance included but nor getting good results. The motor does seem to stutter or run rough at times while driving down the lake, but not consistently. Any help would be appreciated!

plugs for this motor should be NGK. BPZ8HS-10 correct?

2. Member
    Look into your ECU losing ground on your fuel pump. Pretty common on that

I had the exact same motor and fought performance problems with it for over two years before I finally got it narrowed down to the ECU. Something about loose drivers in it. Sent it off to Simon Motorsports for repair. Here's the thread from my problem: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=404666
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ECU Drivers are certainly a possibility in this "Cummins" style ECU. As recommended above, Simon can replace them and make the ECU good as (or perhaps better than) new.

BPZ8HS-10 is indeed the only correct plug for this engine.

One other item to watch or check: Get a voltmeter directly on the battery and monitor the battery voltage. Voltage should NEVER exceed 14.6 VDC. If it does- you have a REGULATOR problem.

The ECU will shut itself down at or close to 15 VDC in an effort to protect itself.

Of course- fuel SUPPLY to the engine is critical as well- see the FAQ Section for "Fuel Lines and Performance Problems" (very important that all items be addressed as noted, and all AT THE SAME TIME, rather than piecing one here and another there).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    On my 1998 200 efi i had a split in the vacume line on the fuel pres regulator. In rougher water motor running about 40 get bounced hard and motor would fall on its face. Took a little while to chase that one down
    JUSTIN LAWSON
    IL ANG 183FW Retired SMSGT
    1998 ASTRO2000 DC[Hooter Scooter] 200MERC EFI TRO4 23P
    Engine by Jay Smith Racing

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    On my 1998 200 efi i had a split in the vacume line on the fuel pres regulator. In rougher water motor running about 40 get bounced hard and motor would fall on its face. Took a little while to chase that one down
    I bet!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The flat primer bulb is a direct indicator that there is some sort of fuel delivery problem. Don't get too far away from that (ECM and electrical etc), Start by running the motor on a 6 gallon remote tank and try to duplicate the problem again. Isolate this issue between boat fuel supply and engine. It could also be fuel drivers in the ECM or the internal injector harness itself, tho I've never seen these issues suck a primer bulb flat. . You can also have the ECU tested by Simon Motor Sports to eliminate that, BTW, ECU repair and re-flashing is expensive. Research the work you've already had performed in detail. $1,500 sounds high to have a pulse pump rebuilt. Sounds like at least 12-15 hours of diagnostics and labor have gone into this problem.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silvertalon View Post
    The flat primer bulb is a direct indicator that there is some sort of fuel delivery problem. Don't get too far away from that (ECM and electrical etc), Start by running the motor on a 6 gallon remote tank and try to duplicate the problem again. Isolate this issue between boat fuel supply and engine. It could also be fuel drivers in the ECM or the internal injector harness itself, tho I've never seen these issues suck a primer bulb flat. . You can also have the ECU tested by Simon Motor Sports to eliminate that, BTW, ECU repair and re-flashing is expensive. Research the work you've already had performed in detail. $1,500 sounds high to have a pulse pump rebuilt. Sounds like at least 12-15 hours of diagnostics and labor have gone into this problem.
    Keep in mind that he may not have been indicating that the primer bulb was "flat". Probably could use to have him clarify that statement, however.

9. Member
    My 97 200efi had similar issues and it wound up being clogged fuel lines located off fuel filter to VSC mixer,,,lines wouldn’t allow enough fuel to go threw,,almost clogged solid from ethanol...

10. Member
    The bulb would not be flat, but it would not be hard either. It would be mushy and then when pumped would remain firm again. Hope this makes sense.

11. Member
    Bulb should be hard when pumped but once the motor runs the motor sucks fuel from tank and the bulb will be under a vacuum. The bulb should stay full (heavy) but not really firm. A couple of pumps should get it firm again.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Bulb should be hard when pumped but once the motor runs the motor sucks fuel from tank and the bulb will be under a vacuum. The bulb should stay full (heavy) but not really firm. A couple of pumps should get it firm again.
    ^^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax