water temps for break in?

I will be breaking in a new 150 soon. A question has arose during discussion with my "crew"

The water temps for the lake I will be on during breaking in is around 40 degrees right now.

Is that water temp to cold for break in?

Another question I have; I know after the first 2 hours not to run full throttle for more then 5 minutes at a time, but can or should I, idle for more then 5 minutes at a time?

Will be doing a lot of trolling early in the season (right after the 2 hour break in).

Thanks for your replies.
    2005 Ranger Z20
    Lake St. Clair addiction...

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would not recommend ANY "constant" RPM for at least the first 4-5 hours. Vary engine RPM's at least once every 5 minutes for best results.

You should be fine breaking-in the engine with those water temps, but I would recommend following the instructions shown in the FAQ Section (as well as your owner's manual).

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Less than 40 is the norm for my water running

4. Member
    Thank you I don't have the motor yet but will post required info in the future
    2005 Ranger Z20
    Lake St. Clair addiction...

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor