blank for 3/8 - 1/2 jigs

I am looking to have a new custom rod built. The builder I use (a member here) has offered several good suggestions. I like having as much input as possible, so I figured I'd ask here also. I've been searching the forums for hours. A lot of the posts are several years old, and I'm wondering if there's new blanks, etc.

I'm looking for a 7'0 - 7'3 rod that I'll use only for flipping jigs around light cover - laydowns, stumps, bushes, etc. Shallow water - 10 ft or less. I'll be tossing mostly 3/8oz jigs + trailer. Sometimes I'll toss a 1/2 + trailer. Not often. I have other rods I can use for heavier stuff, and I have other rods I'll use for casting/swimming jigs.

I don't want to say money is no object, but I'm willing to spend a little more to make sure this is THE rod I want. I find it really hard to choose a blank. I'm not able to handle them before buying them.

The two most important things are weight and sensitivity. For comparison sake, I have a NRX 854 and it feels too tip-heavy to me for comfortably pitching all day. I have a NRX 853 and 893 that I love, but they're slightly overpowered by the jigs + trailer. At the same time, I'm afraid of buying a broomstick that has no feel with 3/8 jigs.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Hydra BC845F-NG. I'm also considering a Phenix K2 715, but have read reviews about it being a little on the slow side.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    I like the North Fork Composite SJ 736-1(X-Ray LMX) for this. Also can't rule out St. Croix SCV blank from rod geeks.

3. Member
    I haven't tried the X-Ray SJ736, but the K2 715 would be a great rod if you intend to use fluoro. The bend of the blank is more of a mod-fast, but the blank is quick (stiff). That leads to more positive hooksets. I get more feel and a better hookset than the comparable MBR844 GLX.

4. Member
    Hydra FL4 is what I would recommend. It's what I use for exactly what you're describing except I keep mine at 7'6"

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Hydra FL4 is what I would recommend. It's what I use for exactly what you're describing except I keep mine at 7'6"
    That's where I'd go. A little more tip than the BC5.

6. Member
    The Xray 736 is a great blank, I use it for pretty much exactly what you describe. I also have a point blank 701MHF. Using it for jigs right now but it would also be great for what you describe. I still have my ALX dragger, great rod! My go to carolina rig rod and I'll even use it for some flipping depending on the situation.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcazmo View Post
    The Xray 736 is a great blank, I use it for pretty much exactly what you describe. I also have a point blank 701MHF. Using it for jigs right now but it would also be great for what you describe. I still have my ALX dragger, great rod! My go to carolina rig rod and I'll even use it for some flipping depending on the situation.
    Just wondering, but how would you compare the PB701MHF to the X-ray 736? Also, which 736 do you have, the SJ or MB?

Thanks

8. Member
    Love my xray mb736 especially since it's on sale for 135 shipped!
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle