Thread: New to Yamaha

New to Yamaha

I bought a Phoenix with a 2014 Yamaha 250SHO. Never owned a 4 stroke outboard either. What are the things a guy should look for that any of you realized after your purchase? My old boat had a Mercury EFI on it, so this is a big change.

Thanks
    Joel

2. Member
    You'll realize that the SHO will run like a bat, and that you had better hang on to your hat.

Seriously, the SHO's are fine motors. Read the Owner's manual. Follow it. Don't get crazy trying to match what every other person on the Internet says about how fast his boat will run. Might download "Maintenance Matters" from the Yamaha web site. Pretty basic stuff, but worth reading, particularly this time of year.

3. Member
    Download the Yamaha app for your phone, It has all sorts of useful stuff on it.

Thanks guys!!! It is tough buying a boat and it being 5* out this morning. We always want spring to get here fast, but I am really wanting it too now.

Basically I just run Ring free plus with every tank and stabilizer to help counter any affects from ethanol when not sure if present in the gas. Most of the time I run 91 octane because most 89 around here contains ethanol and the motor will run with reduced performance with 87. I have been running a 250 SHO's since 2010 with no issues. I now have 289 hours with my current motor on my 2016 Ranger. You will love the motor.

6. Member
    Yeah, I took delivery on my new Skeeter on 01-04. Got it out long enough on Super Bowl Sunday to get the first 2 hours in. Little run last weekend.

Our lakes on this side the of state line had opened a little, but back with thin ice yesterday and today.