Question Can you use an AGM cranking battery for a 60 hp 4 stroke?

I'm looking for a new cranking battery for my 60 hp mercury 4 stroke (2012). Can I use an AGM battery for that? Also what size am I looking for for that small of a motor?

2. Member
    I am looking to do the same thing. It simply needs to have enough cranking amps to be able to start your engine. I’m not sure what it takes to start your motor but it should work as long as you meet the specifications. I’m about to put another group 31 to start my motor and for the times I want to put a extra trolling motor on the back to putter around my electric only lakes.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jyu87 View Post
    I am looking to do the same thing. It simply needs to have enough cranking amps to be able to start your engine. I’m not sure what it takes to start your motor but it should work as long as you meet the specifications. I’m about to put another group 31 to start my motor and for the times I want to put a extra trolling motor on the back to putter around my electric only lakes.
    I saw some rumblings on here that you can't use an AGM battery on a 60hp mercury 4 stroke due to the Stator or something like that?

I use a Duracell 34 series for cranking and accessories on our pontoon. 115 Honda 4 stroke. Plenty of cranking amps. May consider moving up to a 27 series, but I would doubt it's necessary for that motor unless you run a lot of electronics, etc.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Hmm, if you see it link it. I’m curious as to what AGM has to do with it.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

6. Member
    I believe I have also read some recommendations against AGM on the 60 as well... supposedly hard on the charging circuit since its not really an alternator, IIRC.

I would ask Don in the Mercury 4 stroke forum, be sure to include the motor's model and serial numbers in your post.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Let us know what you find out, I suspect quite a few Merc 60hp 4S amongst us Tracker owners, myself included.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Well, ive been using a Duracell AGM 27 on my boat 60 hp for two years now no issues yet. With all my electronics it’s on there too I’ve never had an issue. When I get home I plug it up to a trickle charger, onboard charger goes to trolling batteries, and it only takes about 15 minutes and it’s charged again. It last long long time. LOL
    Haven’t noticed anything funny with the charging system on the 60.
    so if you find something concrete, that it bad let us know.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Been using a deka agm over 5 years with no issues with 60
    It good

Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    I saw some rumblings on here that you can't use an AGM battery on a 60hp mercury 4 stroke due to the Stator or something like that?
    I believe this is correct The stator charging system on the 60 hp and under engines isnt sufficient enough to charge agm batteries. They dont require a high cca battery anyway a good 24-27 series cranking battery works just fine.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    Here are two threads from the Mercury- Four Stroke/Verado Forum I found with a search. These are 50hp but same motor as 60hp.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....anking+battery

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....hlight=battery

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro636 View Post
    Here are two threads from the Mercury- Four Stroke/Verado Forum I found with a search. These are 50hp but same motor as 60hp.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....anking+battery

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....hlight=battery
    Thanks for the links and the confirmation. AGM batteries are a different animal not a good match for these little motors.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    didn't even know you couldn't do a maintenance free? That's what has been on mine for almost 6 years i believe and it's still going strong although i don't trust one that old that's why i'm going to replace it.

I had a maintanence free i think as long as its a wet cell (non AGM) battery youre fine. I had a deka marine master 27m6 and it was awesome. They make a 24 series equivelant that would be perfect for this setup. They have alot of reserve capacity for accessories.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.