Thread: Fuel System

Fuel System

Hey guys, I have a question about the primer ball setup on my boat...it was replaced in 2015 (i believe) before I bought the boat and I am having trouble getting the fuel pump to stay primed, being as if I sit for awhile fishing and go to start the motor I will have to pump the primer ball to get fuel back up to the pump, or it will start and run and about the time I get on plane it will starve out and i will reach back and prime back up...I have heard of some kind of one way valve that goes out but i dont know if it is in the tank or in the line....or in the ball.

2. Member
    Need to know more about the motor you have.

I had the same problem and I just replaced the squeeze bulb and all is well. Only about $20. There is a youtube video that shows exactly how the squeeze (primer) ball works that shows exactly how the one way valve works. There is an inlet spring/valve and and outlet spring/valve. A weak or broken spring in either end will cause it to fail.

Wayne

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you pump it up and it doesn't ever get tight, then the fuel bulb needs to be replaced. Pumping it up gives it pressure for cranking. Once started the fuel pump should supply the needed fuel pressure for your engine. So, while you're fishing if it bleeds down, could very well be that the check valve ball inside is sticking. I've also heard to stay with your motor manufacturer when replacing the bulb. Don't get the off the shelf 3rd party variety at Walmart or Academy.

4. Member
    Ok hey thanks wayne!

5. Member
    Thanks TX