Replacing Fuel Lines

What are yalls thoughts on replacing fuel lines on new Mercs? I have 2014 250 ProXS I was thinking of changing lines on but seems like not many others are doing this on new engines? A buddies 2010 ProXS recently blew because some break down in the fuel lines got to the block. How it got through the filter, i'll never know but it did.
    Just curious what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Member
    I would replace lines that are 6 years old....cheap insurance.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Supply lines from the tank to the engine- Absolutely. Primer bulb- Absolutely. Rebuild the pulse fuel pump- Absolutely. Replace the fuel filter- Absolutely!

Beyond that: Inspect for signs of deterioration. The low perm lines used inside the cowling of your Optimax should last for MANY years as long as you use appropriate fuels.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    I dont have the serial number on me right now. I'm at work but I figured since it is a general question and not related to my particular answer I would fire it out anyway.
    I have replaced these lines on other boats before but Ranger has a tube that covers all the hoses running to the engine and it looks to be a little more of a pain to mess with.

Use the old hose to pull the new one through. With a little manipulation, it works.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    I replaced all of the fuel lines inside the cowling in my 1999 225 Optimax last year. None of them had been replaced. However, my Opti is way older. Didn't seem like mine were failing or deteriorating. I'm not an expert but I'd guess that your fuel lines are probably OK.Outside the cowling is another story. I've had to replace the grey line and primer bulb more than once.