Thread: The Pantera’s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Pantera’s

Thinking on joining the cat family. Trying to decide between these two boats. I took a test ride in the classic at the bass classic last yr at Knoxville. I’ve seen a p2 but haven’t rode in one yet don’t see many in my area. My current boat never had a hot foot (491vs) and can be driven by anyone. Don’t know if I want a hot foot or not ? My ranger never chines. Mostly fish smaller water but lk saint Clair and Huron are sometimes fished. While on the troller is one more stable than the other?? Any other differences between the two as far as handling. Like the bigger deck on the classic but don’t care for the white center. Sort of leaning towards the P2. Thoughts from anyone owning both!!!!! Thanks

Thank you for taking a ride in a boat at Knoxville. We continue to make efforts and figure out how to do that again at Birmingham.

Bass Cat does not suggest a Foot throttle and they are an option. We are not quite 50% foot throttle and the majority prefer standard hand throttle still.

it’s hard to beat the Pantera II SP package pricing and they assembled that Special Package to bring consumers up in level from the Pantera Classic to the P2. There are consumers the Pantera Classic fits, and consumers that need a few more whistles. Performance lends itself to the P2 and that is our suggestion. Though pick what fits your style and your style of fishing.

As for stability we don’t see either being more stable, the larger deck space on the Classic is more towards that team fishing style for those who want space. The market was directed at two categories, one was younger anglers who want to get started with newer product, and the other is older anglers trying to get a dependable product for every day recreational use.

BCB

I had a P2 and have ridden in the new classic. If I were in that market I'd probably get the classic. IMO it rides slightly better and I would prefer the larger deck. The P2 is probably the fastest planing BCB with a 200. One reason I went to a bigger cat was fishing big water. With the trolling motor down the P2 sits low on the water. If you mostly fish calm water water and want awesome performance than the P2 is a great choice. Both will chine walk with a 200 which means they are fun to drive but require some seat time to learn. The quality of BCB is second to none. It is nice when you hit a wake and the boat is solid and does not feel like it wants to come apart.

4. Member
    The sp package p2 is nice. I’ve owned my boat 20 yrs and don’t plan on selling this new boat so would it be worth getting the vinyl ester upgrade? Boat is garaged when not in use. Will be at the 50th classic also would be nice if ya had a p2 for test ride!!!!!”

Quote Originally Posted by kurly View Post
    The sp package p2 is nice. I’ve owned my boat 20 yrs and don’t plan on selling this new boat so would it be worth getting the vinyl ester upgrade? Boat is garaged when not in use. Will be at the 50th classic also would be nice if ya had a p2 for test ride!!!!!”
    Absolutely get the Vinyl Ester...money well spent IMO
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

6. Member
    I was in the same situation in early 2018. I was stuck between a PII and Classic. I ended up with a new PII. Here is why.

I liked the front deck size and storage better on the Classic. I went with the PII because I like the seats, wider rear beam and livewells on the PII. I fish tournaments and here in Florida the water temps and air temps are in the 90's in the summer. The better livewells in the PII were a no brainier for me. The wider rear beam also helps with stability both on plane and while on the trolling motor.

The hole shot on the PII is incredible. I smoke other boats with 250hp motors.
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    Owned a PII and driven everything but the Jag. Both the PII and Classic are rockets out of the hole...by far the quickest BassCats from 0-60. Classic does feel a bit bigger on the front deck or from either seat. Personally I'd say the PII is one of the most fun boats to own & drive...but I'm a 'high performance' person and I like quick and nimble. As for hot foot vs throttle lever.....my own opinion here....is that 2 hands on the steering wheel is better than 1. I wouldn't drive a race car with 1 hand...1 wouldn't drive a high performance boat with 1 hand either. Again...my opinion....but I feel like I have much more control over the boat and throttle with 2 hands on the wheel and 1 foot on the throttle.

As for chine walk...a BassCat is not a ranger. Driven both. Ranger is Cadillac Fleetwood/Eldorado...the BassCat is a Ferrari or Porsche. But it's totally learnable to drive with some practice.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

The PII was the best boat I've ever owned, but I wanted bigger so I sold it an bought the PUMA - 2nd best boat I've ever owned.

Now the Puma is a bigger boat and better in many ways. The reason I regret selling the PII is the $$$. I just put a bunch of money into upgrading the PII with ULTREX and Electronics. Then a sold it and bought a 10 year newer boat.

Not necessarily the best money management decision. I miss the hole shot of the PII, love the extra room of the PUMA.

HOT FOOT is a must in my opinion
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

9. Member
    That’s where I’m at with my old ranger. Been a great boat and owes me nothing. Ready to get something a little smaller and newer

Bill2e,

that’s what we relay to consumers frequently. We often see people upgrade electronics, equipment, refurb trailers, new seats and trolling motor, then they follow that with a trade or sale. The end result is often a new boat with a little newer equipment than they just sold and they took a bath on the upgrades they added to their old boat.

The worst are those who upgrade engines and try to flip those to a new rig. It’s just not feasible and they go both ways after realizing that. They either keep their old rigs a few more years, or they go ahead and sell them and take a deeper bath on the old rig.

We suggest to consumers frequently that they seriously think out upgrading equipment and engines on their old rigs, as engines and all equipment are usually a deeper relative price on completed rigs from manufacturers than aftermarket goods.

We have seen expensive upgrading be enjoyed, though more often we’ve seen consumers experience of regretting that expense and wishing they had just upgraded.

It’s more money to upgrade to a new rig we know, and often that’s the wisest decision when the full values and all items are considered. Of course when doing so models should be lateral in comparable product.

Upgrading a 19’ and 200 engine boat to a 20’ and 250 model is not a fair value comparison. Though if that’s what they want and can afford it, then go for it!

BCB

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Thank you for taking a ride in a boat at Knoxville. We continue to make efforts and figure out how to do that again at Birmingham.

Bass Cat does not suggest a Foot throttle and they are an option. We are not quite 50% foot throttle and the majority prefer standard hand throttle still.

it’s hard to beat the Pantera II SP package pricing and they assembled that Special Package to bring consumers up in level from the Pantera Classic to the P2. There are consumers the Pantera Classic fits, and consumers that need a few more whistles. Performance lends itself to the P2 and that is our suggestion. Though pick what fits your style and your style of fishing.

As for stability we don’t see either being more stable, the larger deck space on the Classic is more towards that team fishing style for those who want space. The market was directed at two categories, one was younger anglers who want to get started with newer product, and the other is older anglers trying to get a dependable product for every day recreational use.

BCB
    Can you explain why BCB doesn’t suggest peddle throttles. Curious because I’m getting ready to order a new P-Classic with a 200. I’ve heard both ways, but I’m leaning to sticking with hand throttle. Thanks

12. Member
    I currently own a PII. IMO its the perfect platform for tournament fishing. Unless you fish big water there is no NEED for a bigger rig. We tend to get lost in NEED and WANT when it comes to our rigs.
    I have owned 4 BCB's. 98 20 foot Jag. 14 Eyra. 2011 Sabre FTD with the 175 Merc. and now a 2016 PII.
    The PII is the cats meow (pun intended) when it comes to doing everything I need in tournament fishing. A balance of size, storage, cost to operate, speed and handling.
    Most of my fishing is bank beating, piers, and cypress trees. Some offshore, but very little.
    All the clubs I fish are horn blast off. The PII eats the field for lunch. The hole shot is unmatched by any other model.

At my last tournament the director was messing with one of the anglers telling him he took his cove from him. He told the director it wasn't him. Director told him "Yes it was, I seen your Bass cat" (He owns a Puma)"You beat me to my spot". Let the director know it was MY Bass cat. He has a Toon with a 225 on the back. Fast boat, but not catching me in that first mile.
    My buddy with the Puma told me I make everyone look like their boats are in neutral on blast off. Yes, its that fast.

I have been in the Classic. There is more room on the front deck, and it seems deeper in the cockpit.
    Personally I like the better live wells better in my PII (in Louisiana the heat in summer is terrible), Non-white cap, better seats (though I have seen the Classic with PII style seats, not sure if its an option?).
    I am also not big on center rod storage. I am definitely a fan of the better bilge access on the Classic.

The SP PII is a hard to beat package. It even comes with the premium locker handles.
    Both are great rigs. Its all in what fits your personal taste, fishing needs and budget. Cant go wrong with either rig.

As for the Hotfoot, I wouldn't have a performance rig without it. I like both hands on the wheel and access to trim. Throttle controlled by foot as needed.
    Non performance hulls its not quite a big of deal as the boat will not chine and does not require driver input.
    The Benefit of hand throttle, Long runs and long idle areas.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 02-13-2020 at 02:32 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    Not to derail this thread but can Mercury have a foot throttle and switch back to hand throttle? I know the Evinrude G2 has this option, and I thought this was possible on the Verado. On Bassmaster.com they had a tour of John Cox’s 1850 BassHawk and it showed a button next to his shifter to switch from foot throttle to hand. Pretty sure that’s what the caption said

I have the ability to switch from the hand throttle to the hot foot with my verado. I use the hand throttle 90% of the time. If I were ordering a new rig I would save the money and just get the hand throttle. Keep in mind the verado has power steering so it is much easier to steer than hydraulic.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    I have the ability to switch from the hand throttle to the hot foot with my verado. I use the hand throttle 90% of the time. If I were ordering a new rig I would save the money and just get the hand throttle. Keep in mind the verado has power steering so it is much easier to steer than hydraulic.

I'd love to have that option. would be great to have hand throttle when cruising at 30-40 MPH, but I really like the instant response of the hootfoot when its hammer down.

Why does Bass Cat not recommend the hootfoot? I think they are much safer.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Because at high speed when you get into trouble, your first response should be to trim down rather than pull your foot immediately off the gas (ie hot foot) and risk bow-hooking. Driving a car conditions folks to do the latter.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Macsimus has answered the question.

Should you be in a tight situation, Reflex muscle response is from vehicle driving and boat reflex needs to be reverse of that. Also most don’t drive a boat often on really big rough water when a foot throttle helps some, though they drive them on longer straight runs and the tension on the leg tends to be uncomfortable. We also see shorter development of driving skills in most unskilled drivers who use foot throttles vs. hand throttles. They do tend to use both hands and have more trouble learning to “feel” what the boat is doing.

Extremely skilled drivers can drive either and don’t depend on two hands, even if they use both.

If you are willing to look used the Pantera 4 may fit the bill perfectly for you. I upgraded from a 1996 Pantera Classic (nimble and quick like Pontiac Fiero with a hotrodded engine) to a 2013 Pantera 4 (like a Corvette in regards to the classic...bigger, wider, heavier) but the P4 i awesome in rough water, provides a much better fishing platform with massive amounts of storage. I know the new Pantera Classic is a whole new ballgame but the P4 seems to fall between a Caracal and a P2....the P4 is essentially a Puma shortened down a bit and equipped with a 200HP motor.

I know if I was upgrading and had the money I would go Caracal......if I had a tighter budget it would be the Pantera Classic...the wider decks appeal to me up here in the north as we deal with fisheries where you chase both species (lots of rods on deck) and are frequently in big water. If you are in south central WI sometime I would be happy to take you for a ride in mine.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

19. Member
    '18 Classic owner. Fishing two up front is a breeze. It handles big chop so easily and smoothly (and keeps you dry). It does have more movement on the trolling motor that our previous Ranger. It is a rocket, and above 63mph, it has to be driven with attention.

Foot Throttle: I struggle how to best communicate this, because there are a lot of people who have more hours in the seat that I do - driving. BUT. I have been driving boats on open water since I was 11 - 33 years - and a lot of those years, I spent an ridiculous (amazing) amount of time on the water in the driver's seat. 29 of those years, I drove everything we owned without a foot throttle. The last 4 years, I've spent in (2) boats with a foot throttle and a ski boat with just a hand throttle (which I believe is an appropriate application). Driving the ski boat is absolutely more chill and relaxing, but I don't think that't the mindset anyone should have at pad speeds. Alternatively, if I'm driving in debris-filled swollen water at 35mph - scanning for floaters in my path, I absolutely have 2 hands on the wheel, and I absolutely will pull power if I know an impact is coming.

I have driven in rolling waves where a hand throttle would've been a huge liability, and I agree with Cajunhunter67, that I would also not operate a high performance bass boat without a foot throttle - one that is sprung to idle if your foot leaves the pedal area for any reason (bat, bird, carp).* I would rather bow hook (don't want to) than hit the bank or another boat at 60+. For big guys crammed in tight cockpits, a HotFoot is certainly no guarantee against that, but a hand throttle will absolutely not return to idle if you become unresponsive.

*Bass Cat Boats (their collective having more seat time than I can dream of-) makes a GREAT point that is easy to miss in the conversation about foot throttles. If anyone is going to be driving on pad, they should DO active training for driving on pad. Train that brain to trim down. With that said, it almost takes an instance (like an engine dying while on pad) to make one realize just how important it is not to pull power on pad. You never, ever ... ever forget that feeling.
    Last edited by NoZero; 02-13-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Macsimus has answered the question.

Should you be in a tight situation, Reflex muscle response is from vehicle driving and boat reflex needs to be reverse of that. Also most don’t drive a boat often on really big rough water when a foot throttle helps some, though they drive them on longer straight runs and the tension on the leg tends to be uncomfortable. We also see shorter development of driving skills in most unskilled drivers who use foot throttles vs. hand throttles. They do tend to use both hands and have more trouble learning to “feel” what the boat is doing.

Extremely skilled drivers can drive either and don’t depend on two hands, even if they use both.
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I have been an equipment operator for over 20yrs and riding/driving motorcycles and boats with hand throttle for over 30yrs. I’m definitely more confident in my hands making snap decision than my foot. Not to mention I’m 6’1” and I would imagine the leg tension and cramps in long no wake zones etc. I can see people getting into more trouble with a foot throttle in low speed situations than not, especially around ramp, docks etc. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast