Thread: The Pantera’s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I would also think if you took a bad bounce out of the seat or knocked unconscious like stated, you’re kill switch lanyard would stop the boat. I definitely see both sides.

2. Member
    Quick story:
    As I stated in my previous post, we do the horn blast off at all out tournaments. During blast off of one our tournaments, my buddy who owns a Phoenix was crossing wakes passing other boats. At about 60 mph his boat grabbed a wake a hooked. He was thrown from the boat. He was ok (sore and bruised). However his kill switch for some reason did not work. With a Hotfoot his boat returned to idle and we were able to jump into his boat and kill it via the key switch. Had he been using a hand throttle the boat would have remained at near full throttle.
    Yes, this is a very out of the ordinary situation with the kill switch not working, but it CAN happen. The Hotfoot and hand throttle have their pro's and con's, but the ability to return to idle under the worst circumstance exceeds any benefit of the hand throttle. Just my opinion.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    Hotfoot vs Hand throttle. It's whatever YOU are comfortable with. I know for fact that I have more control of ANY vehicle with 2 hands on the wheel and using my foot for modulation of throttle (or brake in cars). A hand throttle in an 'instant reaction' sense or 'evasive maneuver sense' will for a moment feel like a 'stuck throttle'. Meaning there is a few tenths of a second that you have compromised steering control and you have to drive with 1 hand to get out of the situation you're in. Agree totally with 'trim down' vs chopping the throttle. But with blinker trim controls that can all be done with 2 hands on the wheel.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

4. Member
    The p4 is like a baby puma.Have one and I love it

5. Member
    I have a hot foot on a P2. First boat with one and wanted to see if it was better. I still run with my hand on the shift throttle and use the trim there instead of the blinker trim. Old habits die hard, I don't see a NEED for a hot foot. I do prefer the hot foot in big water/waves.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Not to derail this thread but can Mercury have a foot throttle and switch back to hand throttle? I know the Evinrude G2 has this option, and I thought this was possible on the Verado. On Bassmaster.com they had a tour of John Cox’s 1850 BassHawk and it showed a button next to his shifter to switch from foot throttle to hand. Pretty sure that’s what the caption said
    Not sure about today, but years ago Land & Sea made a hotfoot that would do this. They ran cable from hotfoot to control station. Not sure how they did it, but it gave you the option (with no levers to set up) to use your foot for normal driving, or use the throttle/shift lever as a cruise control for long runs. I helped install one, but it was so long ago I don't remember the details. Don't even know if Land & Sea still make marine stuff.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Member
    I have owned both, and there are pros and cons for both. Biggest con for me was in rougher water. A big wave can cause your foot to leave the throttle at an inconvenient time. Years ago I liked the hotfoot as it let me keep both hands on the wheel (dual cable days). I moved to hydraulic in middle 90's and that is no longer a big deal. If something goes wrong with the steering, a second hand on the wheel is not going to help correct the problem. If a hydraulic line breaks, you are going to turn right RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, depends on how strong you are. y current boat is the traditional shift/throttle lever. Took me a while to get used to it, but I've had zero problems and have not wished for a hot foot. The con side of the hotfoot is long runs. You only have one place you can put your foot and you have to maintain tension. That was a headache several times on long runs.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12