paint marks on bolt heads

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the paint on the bolt / screw heads is?
    I pulled the airbox off the motor last night to remove some debris and clean it when I noticed the yellow paint on the bolt heads. That got me to wondering, the previous owner of this boat told me last August when I bought it that the injectors had been recently cleaned and calibrated but he had no paperwork to back it up and could only give me the number of the shop who did the work. I called the shop to verify the work but that guy told me he doesn't keep records but thought that he could remember doing the injectors on this boat. Definitely not making me feel warm and fuzzy about what has been done.

So I an wondering, if these bolts that hold the fuel rail down were removed to service the injectors, wouldn't the paint look disturbed somehow? Or I suppose the mechanic could have put new paint marks on it??

What are your thoughts on this? Should I have them serviced or not worry at this time?

Not sure why the photo is sideways, sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2. Member
    Still don't know. When I would pull any bolts that had paint I would put white paint on when I reassembled.

3. Member
    I would call the shop back and ask them if it's normal procedure for them to re-paint the bolts after doing injectors. Also, does Yamaha even do this from the factory?
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    Called a torque stripe.

http://www.mhi.org/media/news/16037

5. Member
    Thanks yam911 for the clarification.
    Can you weigh in on my specific situation, do you think these strips are original or aftermarket? I see a very small hairline separation on every one of them but was thinking there would be more damage done if they had been removed.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

6. Member
    I just did this on a VZ225, and the yellow paint was broken up pretty badly when I took the bolts out. The black stripes on the bolt heads were horizontal on every bolt before I started.

Wayne

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneM1946 View Post
    I just did this on a VZ225, and the yellow paint was broken up pretty badly when I took the bolts out. The black stripes on the bolt heads were horizontal on every bolt before I started.

Wayne
    THANKS for the input Wayne! Now I really am thinking that the injectors have never been removed assuming of course that the bolts in my photos have to be removed to get the injectors out.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

8. Member
    I spoke with Ben at HydroTec a few minutes ago. He says it is just a paint used to designate the bolts have been torgued and that this is factory applied.
    Think I am going to pull all of my injectors and send them to HydroTec to have them go through them. I have spent some $$ on this boat since buying it late last summer but I hate surprises and would rather spend a couple hundred over a few thousand cause an injector killed my motor.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

10. Member
    Not going to chance it, took the injectors out last night and boxed them up. The yellow paint is basically gone so I am absolutely convinced the injectors have never been removed. I called and spoke to the folks at Brucato FIS and he was very informative. Decisions decisions...now I have to decide who to send it to, Brucato or Hydro Tec.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

11. Member
    How many hours are on the motor . Less than 300 I wouldn’t worry about it.

12. Member
    no way to confirm hours on a ox66 so I have no idea. Better safe than sorry...
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

13. Member
    Just got off the phone with Rich at Brucato FIS. I don't personally know Rich but I have really enjoyed and appreciated my interaction with him. Very informative guy and he helped me with a lot of info about my outboard.
    Pretty positive now that the previous owner lied to me about injectors being cleaned and calibrated...I know, a shocker LOL.
    5 of mine were flowing rich at idle so Rich got them as close to spec as he could.
    With any luck I will get the injectors back and have the motor buttoned up this weekend. Then first chance I get I will take it to a lake to decarb.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    Just got off the phone with Rich at Brucato FIS. I don't personally know Rich but I have really enjoyed and appreciated my interaction with him. Very informative guy and he helped me with a lot of info about my outboard.
    Pretty positive now that the previous owner lied to me about injectors being cleaned and calibrated...I know, a shocker LOL.
    5 of mine were flowing rich at idle so Rich got them as close to spec as he could.
    With any luck I will get the injectors back and have the motor buttoned up this weekend. Then first chance I get I will take it to a lake to decarb.
    I know rich personally and you can't go wrong.. he used to hang out here till the ice melted lol