Guntersville and other tva lakes

Hi all,

I was planning a trip from MN Feb 22-26 to the area. I saw the tournament on chick just got cancelled so I'm curious with 10 days left until my trip and rain still coming is guntersville going to be flooded quite a bit and is it worth making the 15 hour trip. I've never been so really have no idea what weather you're having and water levels do to the fishing or safety there. Obviously a reason they cancelled chick this weekend. Any help you can give me is much appreciated.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    The dates you mentioned are fine with what's happening now. If we get better weather and the rains stop Guntersville will be fine. Now, saying all that, if we continue to get the saturation we have been getting, it will be a mess.

3. Member
    I went to Guntersville late February last year after a week of super heavy rains like this.

Running it was intense, lots of floaters, the grass had been totally washed out. Water was very brown. If we managed to find grass, we caught big fish.
    But the bite was tough.

I'm thinking if the rains stop and you get a solid dry week then you will be OK, just hunt for grass, don't be afraid to go super shallow.

4. Banned
    How does the high water effect the bite? Do the fish move off the grass lines on the main body and closer to the banks? I've only fished the lake twice and the first time I had any sucess was last November fishing the eel grass on the main body of the lake around the Goosepond area.

5. Dogfish_Jones
    I personally like it when its high or rising, it seems they really hug close to the banks where the water has flooded it. When the water drops is when I can't catch nothing, not even a cold.
    The only objections I have during this time is a current that is super fast and what is floating just below the surface is what keeps me off the lake.
    Some do move off the grass line to move shallow to feed but I've seen it where the water did not create a problem for them staying put along the grass line. I do go more shallow then and have found my luck to be pretty good.

6. Member
    Last year after a similar rain event it took a good month for the lake to settle down. Hopefully by late Feb it will be “ok”.

It's up quite a bit right right now ..very high...very fast....very dirty....we have an Alabama Bass Trail event scheduled for the 22 of February that they are going to make a decision on hopefully by Tuesday. Some areas you can fish... Wilson you can still get on..it's at normal level but very dirty...Upper end of Pickwick you can't..all the ramps are flooded...badly... Wheeler is flooded... Guntersville dam is closed...the Lock is closed right now...no traffic going thru the lock the water is so high...that should tell you something... we'll have a day or two with no rain then scheduled to rain all week next week as well...I might think about reconsidering to be honest...fishing hasn't been great for most anyway...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    +1 with mrlawler1

9. Member
    Appreciate the heads up guys. I think I might head to Sam Rayburn instead since I've never been there and it's been a bitore atable

10. Member

11. Member
    yea. Prefished there Saturday. It was tough. Swift, Cold, Muddy Water. The dock at Waterfront was almost under water.

12. Member
    Fished it Saturday also and yes the dock at waterfront was almost under water. We did get on some fish and catch a few, nothing over 3.5 lbs.