Design flaw or oversight for the coinbox

Never noticed or thought about it until today but it appears the coinbox is sealed all around. Which is awesome, except that the cup holders have a drain hole. I found out these drain holes lead right into the coin box.

Today I was wondering why there was standing water in my cup holders and won't drain. Looked in the glove box and found a couple of inches of standing water. Bah. Drilled a couple holes in the corner and it's slowly draining out.

Come on man.

2. Member
    I would have plugged the hole in the cup holder, you can empty a cup holder by opening the lid.

Not a flaw as my Ranger coin box does the same. I would have blocked the holes like Tim mentioned.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    They never advertise the coin box or the step are waterproof. Not that it matters...it would be a good idea if they were. The coin box especially since wallets, keys, and the like would be stored there.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Not a flaw as my Ranger coin box does the same. I would have blocked the holes like Tim mentioned.
    Water is designed to go in but not escape. Seems like a flaw to me.

The cup holders aren't removable. So not sure how you'll empty it out if pooled with liquid when the bottom is plugged.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post

The cup holders aren't removable. So not sure how you'll empty it out if pooled with liquid when the bottom is plugged.
    He isn't seeing it, so is there a nipple under the cup holder? If so get some air tubing, and run it from the nipple to the bottom of the boat passing the dry storage
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Keep a sponge in the box to sop it up. Kind of cave man like but effective.

8. Member

just open it up Wouldn't that drain the cup holders ?

Quote Originally Posted by bass0001 View Post
    just open it up Wouldn't that drain the cup holders ?
    No it won't empty them. If you look at the pic the OP posted the lid doesn't have the cup holders. They are located aft of the lid in a fixed portion of the box.

10. Member
    That is a polyurea floor package boat. I wonder if they sprayed closed some drainage provisions somewhere.
    It also looks like a possible water intrusion at the hinge area. The box is only stitch welded together behind back of the lid seal.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

11. Member
    Seems they put seal around the opening which meant it was intended to be dry storage. Something is not right?
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Looks like the cup holders need drains to the bilge. Overkill? Not if it keeps the box dry.

13. Moderator
    Seems to me the cup holders are not draining into the coin box. Take a good look at it. The cup holders are behide the aluminum box frame. Is the coin box water tight I dont think so. The only thing that you have to watch if you keep you phone in there is to keep it away from the latch. It will bust your screen!
    Last edited by dartman; 02-15-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

See if you can come up with a way to connect a tube to the drain hole in the cup holder and run the tube down through the holes you drilled. Some boats are factory like that for other compartments.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.