Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Shallow Water With Hydraulic Jackplate....

Headed to Santee Cooper and will be running in shallow water, which I am not used to and actually, a little intimidated! Can you take off with motor raised somewhat or should come up with motor all way down, then trim motor up after planing? And once you raise motor on plane should you keep bow trimmed down more than you usually would??? Boat is AVX1980 Vexus.

2. Member
    You can take off with the the plate all the way up in most cases. Afterwards you want to come down and trim up at the same time until you hit the right water pressure. I’ve fished lots of shallow marsh and often times this was the only way to get out. Sometimes even running for 10 to 20 seconds all the way up to get threw really shallow areas. My plate is an Atlas.

3. Member
    Thanks! Mine is Atlas also!

4. Banned
    Yep all the way up and watch you water pressure gauge... Dan

Comments above work,but I can promise you one thing.The stumps don"t move.If you have not been here before I would suggest using a guide the 1st day or two.These lakes are not safe to run blind.There are areas that are a little safer to run then others but you still need a basic knowledge.

I'm with Inky! I grew up here on Santee Cooper and I still find new stumps on occasion! You can be a long way from the bank on either lake and still be REALLY shallow!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobblr addict View Post
    Headed to Santee Cooper and will be running in shallow water, which I am not used to and actually, a little intimidated! Can you take off with motor raised somewhat or should come up with motor all way down, then trim motor up after planing? And once you raise motor on plane should you keep bow trimmed down more than you usually would??? Boat is AVX1980 Vexus.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    And you can stick that popcorn up your Yankee @&*$(.....

9. Member
    I thought the Civil War was over, since I know for a fact that 'Nam was after it. But, looks like you still hanging to a dead horse? Time to get over it!

10. Member

Well that was uncalled for...
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I thought the Civil War was over, since I know for a fact that 'Nam was after it. But, looks like you still hanging to a dead horse? Time to get over it!
    OK...maybe I mistook your Imogi...Just what was inferred by it digthemup?? I'm sure you have good answer!

12. Member
    OK...maybe I mistook your Imogi...Just what was inferred by it digthemup?? I'm sure you have good answer!
    I see you are relatively new to the boards. Usually when someone posts a popcorn they are saying they are interested in the topic of the original poster (OP) and are watching the thread with interest to learn something also. There is really no reason for personal attacks on these boards. Welcome, you will enjoy it.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    I see you are relatively new to the boards. Usually when someone posts a popcorn they are saying they are interested in the topic of the original poster (OP) and are watching the thread with interest to learn something also. There is really no reason for personal attacks on these boards. Welcome, you will enjoy it.

when are you coming to Santee

2009 ELITE 210

15. Member
    JHelms explained it all. No apology needed, but it would be great to probably work on getting that chip of the shoulder deal going on, since you could end up with a bad back the bigger it get.
    Be well.

16. Member
    Well....I apologize.....I was taught if you could not say something good or contribute to a conversation, to not say anything at all....I took your emoji to poke fun at my "ignorance" as I assumed you were interested to see how this turned out....Just because I have had only 47 or so posts, doesn't mean I am a newcomer....That's one thing about these forums I don't agree with....People with thousands of posts seem to acquire stock and an ownership of the forum.....And a presumed expertise of sorts..... I just remain silent most times I am on here, and if I cannot say something positive or of substance, I keep my emojis to myself...

Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    Comments above work,but I can promise you one thing.The stumps don"t move.If you have not been here before I would suggest using a guide the 1st day or two.These lakes are not safe to run blind.There are areas that are a little safer to run then others but you still need a basic knowledge.
    You got that right, 1st time on the lake 20+ years ago with a tin boat 25hp tiller following marked channel. Ended up in standing timber all around and had the wife up front looking for tree tops as we idled half hour to get clear water. Plus my bathing beauty decided she liked cooling off by dangling her legs overboard. Told her they got gators in here get the bleep up. She said no they don't so took a ride to backwater spot and there were half a dozen gators. No more cooling off for her.

It's not all doom and gloom on the lake. There are launches all around both lakes. If you're new to the area just plan on driving and launching in the areas you want to fish and then idle or run the trolling motor. DO NOT FOLLOW BOATS just because they are on plane and running. Many have no idea where they're going either and are just rolling the dice. You can catch plenty on Santee Cooper without ever cranking the big motor! Enjoy your trip just take it easy out there and don't get in a hurry!

19. Member
    Well....I apologize.....I was taught if you could not say something good or contribute to a conversation, to not say anything at all....I took your emoji to poke fun at my "ignorance" as I assumed you were interested to see how this turned out....Just because I have had only 47 or so posts, doesn't mean I am a newcomer....That's one thing about these forums I don't agree with....People with thousands of posts seem to acquire stock and an ownership of the forum.....And a presumed expertise of sorts..... I just remain silent most times I am on here, and if I cannot say something positive or of substance, I keep my emojis to myself...
    Reckon that to be a good rule of thumb about conversation, and Lord knows Job's friends could have learned from it, however, to some what we contribute may seems not good, yet even if it is truth.
    Lot of times I do the same by posting my popcorn friend and follow the conversation in hope to learn some. Up my way, due to the idiots controlling the water and causing flooding in Lake Ontario and St lawrence River, we have to deal with hidden shoals, which are not as forgiving as wood. Watched a fella take out is bottom and stuck like on a pedestal, since most rocks are not marked by Coast Guard. Most other time, water is in 100'+ in channel, but tricky near islands and shore.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    It's not all doom and gloom on the lake. There are launches all around both lakes. If you're new to the area just plan on driving and launching in the areas you want to fish and then idle or run the trolling motor. DO NOT FOLLOW BOATS just because they are on plane and running. Many have no idea where they're going either and are just rolling the dice. You can catch plenty on Santee Cooper without ever cranking the big motor! Enjoy your trip just take it easy out there and don't get in a hurry!
    Thanks! Yea I had planned to go to Stumphole, had some advice from guy down there said to idle easy out from there and fish Cypress tree forest in front of landing. Also had advice about the Hatchery and just launching there and trolling through it.....I have a brand new Vexus, my retirement gift to myself, and I dern sure don't wanna DING it up....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast