favorite rod for 3/8 and 1/2 jigs?

Well, I dropped my custom jig rod in the lake today. Oops. I was 20ft deep and in bushes/timber. I dragged treble hooks for 2 hours and was never able to snag it. I broke off a ton of treble hooks and heavy tungsten weights. Ouch.

So...

I'm looking for a new rod to pitch jigs. Mostly 3/8oz + trailer. Sometimes a 1/2oz + trailer. Tossing them at laydowns, stumps, bushes, etc. I wouldn't call it heavy cover. Not much real grass where I normally fish, and I already have heavier rods I can use for that when necessary

Can anyone over any thoughts on how the NRX 894 balances?

I have other NRX casting rods - 852, 853, 854, 873, and 893.

Out of those, the 854 is by far my least favorite. It feels heavy to me and I find it difficult to pitch with.

I keep my 873 rigged for carolina rig always, so I'm not interested in using that as my jig rod.

The 893 feels a little overpowered with even a 3/8 jig if I add a bulky trailer.

Does the NRX 894 balance similarly to the 854? I don't have a local place to feel it next to my 854.

I love the sensitivity of my other NRX rods, but can't decide whether to get the 894 or go with another custom build. I was highly satisfied with my custom rod (Droomvanger Custom Rods), but I would probably want to go with a little more sensitive blank this time.
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    Have had NRX894 and now Conquest 904C. I’d never go back to 894 now. I’d also take a look at that Daiwa Steez AGS jig rod Bronzefly recommends. Megabass FMJ is good too.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    Have had NRX894 and now Conquest 904C. I’d never go back to 894 now. I’d also take a look at that Daiwa Steez AGS jig rod Bronzefly recommends. Megabass FMJ is good too.
    First thing I did was send bronzefly a message to see what he recommended. That Steez Bottom Contact is interesting, but man it's not cheap!

I have had a FMJ, and I've broken two of them. I have broken 3 rods in my life and all 3 were Megabass. They took care of me and replaced them, but I've lost confidence in them.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    First thing I did was send bronzefly a message to see what he recommended. That Steez Bottom Contact is interesting, but man it's not cheap!

I have had a FMJ, and I've broken two of them. I have broken 3 rods in my life and all 3 were Megabass. They took care of me and replaced them, but I've lost confidence in them.
    I had the same issue with a Megabass but I still liked the rod. Was hoping they fixed the issue. None of the rods you mentioned are cheap.

I'm really enjoying the ALX Rods ENOX BMJ right now. We have had a very hard time keeping them in stock since release, but should have some soon.

6. Member
    If you are primarily pitching instead of casting, I'd look at the Daiwa Steez AGS 7'1" MH extra-fast. Like the new Steez bottom contact rod, it's not cheap, but I absolutely love it for pitching lighter jigs and T-rigs. The AGS guides definitely help to make it extremely sensitive. I haven't used anything heavier than a 3/8 oz jig and trailer on it yet, but it's rated to 1 oz so I'm sure it could handle a 1/2 oz jig just fine. And if you use the BBC10 code at the Tackle Trap, you'll get 10% off, which is quite a bit when you're talking about a $580 rod.

7. Member
    Alpha Angler Zilla. 7'3" 3/8-1oz. 7'3" is a good all around length.. Similar to the ALX rod mentioned above, it makes a good frog rod also.

8. Member
    Within the Loomis line the GLX MBR 844 is a gem for those weights and also good with bigger topwaters, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and swimjigs.