Thread: Rods on Deck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I'm really happy with the purchase. This is my first cat. I was also down to Phoenix and Bass Cat when I made the decision.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

2. Member
    The Cougar is a little wider up there than the Eyra. The Cougar doesn't have 2 holes for optional seat placement. I'm a bigger guy (6'3 280) and I definitely feel cramped up there when I have my butt seat in. It's a huge deck without the seat and tight with it installed. It's just the design of the boat. BassCat designed it to allow the angler to be further up by tip of boat. That is a great asset that can be taken for granted until fishing out of a different boat such as a Ranger in my experience. I can't make a roll cast over the trolling motor in a Ranger. BassCat it's no problem. Everything is a tradeoff. I'm not knocking the BassCat design AT ALL. Not knocking Ranger AT ALL. But this tight spot up front with the seat pedestal installed is one key detail I overlooked before purchasing. It's not a deal breaker to me and it's 100% my fault. I bet I wouldn't even fit up there in an Eyra with pedestal installed.

3. Member
    The biggest complaint I have about my P2 is the trolling motor pedal is too far forward. I can't stand it because I fish offshore mostly and it's unstable when it starts to get rough. I looked at a new Eyra yesterday and with the pedal placement moved back it is much more comfortable.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

4. Member
    I can't stand having rods on both sides, but I can get at least six on one side, of the old Cat easily.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    The Cougar is a little wider up there than the Eyra. The Cougar doesn't have 2 holes for optional seat placement. I'm a bigger guy (6'3 280) and I definitely feel cramped up there when I have my butt seat in. It's a huge deck without the seat and tight with it installed.... I bet I wouldn't even fit up there in an Eyra with pedestal installed.
    I owned a Cougar and I'm tall and you're right, with the seat in it is cramped. The Eyra, however, if you put the seat in the back hole it is perfect. My current Lynx is in between, the front hole is a little close and the back hole makes me stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    The biggest complaint I have about my P2 is the trolling motor pedal is too far forward. I can't stand it because I fish offshore mostly and it's unstable when it starts to get rough. I looked at a new Eyra yesterday and with the pedal placement moved back it is much more comfortable.

I loved my PII - but I understand what you’re saying.

when I put my Ultrex on and fishing off shore. I just stepped back to the fat part of the deck or even the rear deck and used the remote.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    Bill I do the same now with my ultrex. I can understand why they came up with the idea of doing what basscat did with the pedal location but times change. In example we don’t fish the same now as we did years ago. So the pedal location is a huge deal to me about buying another one. The eyra to me fixes that problem but they should do that on all boats as we as fisherman don’t all fish the same
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    Bill I do the same now with my ultrex. I can understand why they came up with the idea of doing what basscat did with the pedal location but times change. In example we don’t fish the same now as we did years ago. So the pedal location is a huge deal to me about buying another one. The eyra to me fixes that problem but they should do that on all boats as we as fisherman don’t all fish the same
    Justin
    I agree with you a 100 percent. The TM pedal option that is on the Jag, Lynx, and Eyra should be on all the BCB models. Even with it moved to the aft position it is still further forward (which I like) than any other brand. Moving it 6-8 inches aft would be perfect. My knees are not what they used to be. Moving it aft would help me a lot.
    I know this thread is about rod placement. Sorry for leaving the topic. All good points made.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Member
    I have been watching for posts like this in the Basscat forum for a few weeks now. Someone is buying my Ranger this weekend and I am most likely moving to a 2015 Cougar. The only thing that scares me is the width of the front deck and the forward positioned trolling motor pedal. I am 6'5" and about 220. I usually only have like 4-6 rods total on the deck of my boat now, I am assuming I will have plenty of room with the cat, just makes me nervous coming from the Ranger! I need to measure yet, but it almost seams like the width of the boats where the heel part of the pedal is isn't even that different, it is just the lay out that makes it look like that.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkertx3 View Post
    I owned a Cougar and I'm tall and you're right, with the seat in it is cramped. The Eyra, however, if you put the seat in the back hole it is perfect. My current Lynx is in between, the front hole is a little close and the back hole makes me stretch.
    That's good to hear. And I've never been in an Eyra so I shouldn't have made my comment regarding the Eyra given it has two options for pedestal holes. I had the thought that if one is tight the other will be even tighter even though that may not be the case.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemoodie View Post
    I have been watching for posts like this in the Basscat forum for a few weeks now. Someone is buying my Ranger this weekend and I am most likely moving to a 2015 Cougar. The only thing that scares me is the width of the front deck and the forward positioned trolling motor pedal. I am 6'5" and about 220. I usually only have like 4-6 rods total on the deck of my boat now, I am assuming I will have plenty of room with the cat, just makes me nervous coming from the Ranger! I need to measure yet, but it almost seams like the width of the boats where the heel part of the pedal is isn't even that different, it is just the lay out that makes it look like that.
    i came out of a 2004 Triton TR22 so I’ll tell you 100% I noticed the differences in the front deck. I lost 2’ of boat and some width during my switch. I was able to fish in a Classic with my buddy so I knew what to expect before hand. Now, after a few trips in the cat I forgot all about the Triton. With the tm at the front it really opens it up for you. In your case your going to a longer boat than the ranger. It would be hard to see you “losing” anything going bigger. Learning the Tm pedal position is a little tricky but once you do you won’t want anything different imo

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atta View Post
    i came out of a 2004 Triton TR22 so I’ll tell you 100% I noticed the differences in the front deck. I lost 2’ of boat and some width during my switch. I was able to fish in a Classic with my buddy so I knew what to expect before hand. Now, after a few trips in the cat I forgot all about the Triton. With the tm at the front it really opens it up for you. In your case your going to a longer boat than the ranger. It would be hard to see you “losing” anything going bigger. Learning the Tm pedal position is a little tricky but once you do you won’t want anything different imo
    Thank you for the info. I've driven and fished out of my friends early 2000s cougar before and I got used to it. I am going up in size by about 1' length wise and I can definitely tell just by looking at the cat. Its just one of those things that makes me nervous because I won't have a chance to drive or fish out of this cat before I buy it. We are 2 months away from open water up here and I can not wait until the last minute to get something. I really do feel like the cat has more room than what it looks like.
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    2022 Silverado

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemoodie View Post
    Thank you for the info. I've driven and fished out of my friends early 2000s cougar before and I got used to it. I am going up in size by about 1' length wise and I can definitely tell just by looking at the cat. Its just one of those things that makes me nervous because I won't have a chance to drive or fish out of this cat before I buy it. We are 2 months away from open water up here and I can not wait until the last minute to get something. I really do feel like the cat has more room than what it looks like.
    Kyle
    You won't regret moving to the Cougar at all. Especially with the few rods you do keep on the deck. I keep more than that and have a PII which has a slightly smaller front deck.
    You will have plenty room.
    The difference in performance and TM response will be huge. Give yourself seat time as the Cougar will drive and handle much different than the Ranger.
    Once you learn to drive a Cat you will love it.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Kyle
    You won't regret moving to the Cougar at all. Especially with the few rods you do keep on the deck. I keep more than that and have a PII which has a slightly smaller front deck.
    You will have plenty room.
    The difference in performance and TM response will be huge. Give yourself seat time as the Cougar will drive and handle much different than the Ranger.
    Once you learn to drive a Cat you will love it.
    Appreciate the advice! I should hopefully have my hands on the cat this week or next. Super excited to get a few things rigged on it and get it ready to roll for open water in April!
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    2022 Silverado

15. Member
    This is why I’m waiting for an Eyra hull just 18 inches longer on the front deck. That way the rods can be behind me when I’m fishing. Same awesome hull design, just longer.

Anyone comparing widths at the bow really needs to actually measure the distances and widths at the very front, and also measure the position to the front bow point.

below is a graph and link for comparisons.

Here’s the link:
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...ic_read=343182

BCB

Lengths Jaguar
    NOT 2020
    Lynx Puma FTD Cougar FTD Eyra Carcal Pantera Classic Pantera II Sabre FTD Margay
    Tip of Bow to start of Carpet 2' 11" 2' 7" 2' 7" 2' 7" 2' 6" 2' 8" 2' 4" 2' 4" 2' 4" 2' 5"
    Nose to standard position of recess foot pedal 2' 10" 3' 2' 9" 2' 9" 2' 8" 3' 4" 2' 4" 2' 6" 2' 7" 2' 10"
    Second Seat Post 6"(-) Back Y Y N/A N/A Y Y Y (-8") N/A N/A N/A
    Width at 3 feet from Tip of Bow 4' 6" 4' 4" 4' 1" 4' 1" 3' 8" 4' 5" 4' 4" 3' 10" 3' 11" 4' 4"
    Width at 4 feet from Tip of Bow 5' 3" 5' 2" 4' 7" 4' 7" 4' 5" 5' 3" 4'11" 4' 6" 4' 6" 4' 8"
    Width at 5 feet from Tip of Bow 5' 9" 5' 8" 5' 5' 4'11" 5' 9" 5' 5" 4' 11" 4'10" 5'
    Width at 6 feet from Tip of Bow 6' 1" 6' 5' 4" 5' 3" 5' 4" 6' 1" 5' 7" 5' 3" 5' 2" 5' 3"
    Width at 7 feet from Tip of Bow 6' 3" 6' 2" 5' 6" 5' 4" 5' 7" 6' 3" 5' 9" 5' 4" 5' 4" 5' 6"
    Width at 8 feet from Tip of Bow 6' 4" 6' 3" 5' 7" 5' 6" 5' 9" 6' 4" 5'11" 5' 6" 5' 7" 5' 8"
    Width at 9 feet from Tip of Bow 6' 5'' 6' 4" 5' 9" 5' 8" 5'10" 6' 5" 6' 5' 9" 5' 8" N/A
    Width at 10 feet from Tip of Bow 6' 6" 6' 4" 5'10" 5' 9" N/A N/A 6' 1" N/A N/A N/A
    Nose to Console 10' 8" 10' 10' 10' 9' 8" 9' 9' 11" 9' 3" 8' 6" 8'
    Widths In * Feet' Inches"*
    All Length and width Measurements Reflect 2018 Model year
    Nose to seat Post 4' 3" 4' 3" 4' 2" 4' 2" 4' 4' 3" 3' 9" 4' 2" 4' 2" 4' 3"
    Nose to second Seat post "if it has one" 4' 9" 4'10" N/A N/A 4' 7" 4' 9" 4' 4" N/A N/A N/A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12