Christ stills life's waves (with the Gospel)

Are life's storms coming over your bow? Ever notice that in Scripture, when Christ says "Fear not", it is usually followed by Gospel--"I am here". More of Christ's miracles pointing to His divinity. Psalm 65 foreshadows Christ's calming the storm/waves in Matt 8:23-27.

Psalm 65:2-7

For the choir director. A Psalm of David. A Song.
    2O You who hear prayer
    To You all men come.
    3Iniquities prevail against me; (overwhelmed)
    As for our transgressions, You +forgive+ them.
    4How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You
    To dwell in Your courts.
    We will be satisfied with the +goodness+ of Your house,
    Your holy temple.

By awesome deeds You answer us in +righteousness+, O God of our salvation,
    You who are the trust of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest sea;
    6Who establishes the mountains by His strength,
    Being girded with might;
    7Who stills the roaring of the seas,
    The roaring of their waves,
    And the tumult of the peoples

(+words+, overwhelmed--my emphasis) ++ = Christ/the cross

v2. God hears the prayers of the righteous--those of the faithful human heart.
    v3. 'prevail' some translations render 'overwhelmed', 'countless'. We need a Savior.
    v5. deeds of 'righteousness'--Christ led a perfect life for us. He died a perfect sacrificial death for us. We are covered by His righteousness.
    v7. prophecy of Christ stilling the waves--fulfilled in Matthew 8. "Tumult of the peoples"--sin, death, devil, hell.

Are you having a tough go at life? Overwhelmed? Cancer, death in the family, financial woes, marital problems? Christ stills our storms. "On those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." Is 9:2b. "Be still and know that I am God." Ps 46. Help is on the way, we just don't know His timetable. "It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD*." Lam 3:26

*LORD--covenant name for God, the God of the promise

2. Member
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

Amen and Amen

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

Amen and Amen
    This is one of my favorite verses.. I have found a great deal of comfort there.

4. Member
    Thank you..

5. Member
    BTW, its a double yoke. One side provides all the pulling power and the steering as well. It does the hard work. The other side simply trusts the first side.

"Find rest"--under a shade tree? Eternally. Rest for our souls. Sin, death, devil, hell have been defeated. In creation, God rested on the seventh day.-Because He was tired? No, because creation was complete, perfect. That rest on the seventh day (#7 = complete) foreshadowed our eternal rest in heaven with Him. "Sabbath rest"--and does to this day.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 02-14-2020 at 03:47 PM.