Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brookville Lake Smallmouth

I've heard there is a population of smallies in B'ville but that they can be hard to find and catch. (What's new). Is this true and does anyone have any experience targeting them.
    I typically head south to Dale Hollow or Laurel River. But, if there's some smallies closer to home, that would be great. I'm willing to put in the hours if the reward is good.
    Anyway, thanks for any input.

2. Member
    Place is full of them
    2002 518 DVX

3. Member
    Wow, I guess over years I've paid so much attention to the rivers around me and lakes down south that I never bothered to ask.
    Do you know if there are any big fish? 4+

Quote Originally Posted by smalliehound View Post
    Wow, I guess over years I've paid so much attention to the rivers around me and lakes down south that I never bothered to ask.
    My knowledge of Brookville is limited, but the smallmouth don't seem to be hard to find. I'm sure there are some good fish there, but 4+ pounders are probably rare.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Prepare to be dazzled.
    There is a window every spring that takes around 18 lbs to win and it's usually a mixed bag. But yes, no prob catching smallies fish what looks right and you can catch them. There are 4's in there but you'll have a good time with the 2 pound class fish.

\"The only difference between me and the pros....they catch more fish.\".......Me

6. Member
    All smallies are fun for sure. Always nice to have a chance at a pig though.
    But, it's very encouraging to find out that there's some so close to home. The rivers have some decent fish but my shoulders aren't what they used to be for the kayak fishing.
    And, I'll certainly still head south as often as possible. But, to have the chance to actually catch some so close is awesome.

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I would say that probably 90% of the fish I catch at Brookville are smallies. I fish there once or twice a week from March through October. I do tend to fish the southern half of the lake which is maybe a bit better smallie habitat than the northern half.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

8. Member
    I know there in there but never caught one.

9. Member
    Seen a 6lber caught in a tournament seen a 4lbers in several tournaments and lots of 3lbers but like said above you will catch them and have fun with 2lbers good luck if you go

10. Member
    Wow! A 6 lber is a fish of a lifetime. And 4 lber's are especially fun

11. Member
    I caught a smallmouth this past september at brookville that measured 22 1/4" long. Didn't have a scale to weight it but was in the 6lb range. Have pictures on an old phone somewhere. I fish southern end mostly as well. At night during the summer months is best. One night me and a buddy caught well over 40 smallmouth but none were over 2lbs. Still alot of fun. Catch several over 4lb every year.

12. Member
    What do they primarily catch them on? Jerk baits..Tubes??
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

13. Banned
    Spinner baits, crank baits, swim baits, jigs... No need to change up what you normally do... They'll hit anything... Dan

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalliehound View Post
    I fish Brookville alot. We had club classic there the first weekend in October this past year and my partner and i smashed the smallies. Him with a buzzbait and me with a spook. We got 2nd and big bass with his 4lb smallie and my biggest one for the day was 3 1/2lbs. Typically your gonna catch alot of 1-2lbers. The bigs are there. Ive seen 5's and 6's weighed in at Bville.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

15. Member
    Shoot me a PM and we can further get into baits. Ive got one thats an absolute KILLER for them there
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

16. Member
    I've heard of guys catching 30+ a day; however that's not me. I usually do best with crankbaits around structure or at the causeway. Weekends are usually fairly busy with both fishermen and pleasure boaters. I don't fish tournaments, but they have some big ones and it's packed. Dusty, if you don't mind, I may PM you too because I struggle at that lake!

Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    I fish Brookville alot. We had club classic there the first weekend in October this past year and my partner and i smashed the smallies. Him with a buzzbait and me with a spook. We got 2nd and big bass with his 4lb smallie and my biggest one for the day was 3 1/2lbs. Typically your gonna catch alot of 1-2lbers. The bigs are there. Ive seen 5's and 6's weighed in at Bville.
    Give me your info. I will pay you to guide me one day...lol

18. Member
    Anyone tried the float n fly during these cold winter months. The water seems clear enough that it should be effective on suspended smallies.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    Give me your info. I will pay you to guide me one day...lol
    Im no guide or Pro. And i dont especially love Bville. It woukdnt be my lake of choice in the area....unless i wanted to catch smallies. But most of the time a limit of smallmouth wont get you a WIN on Bville in the bigger tournaments. Usually gotta have a kicker largemouth or 2.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    Im no guide or Pro. And i dont especially love Bville. It woukdnt be my lake of choice in the area....
    Which lake would be your preference then..?
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast