Thread: rod performence

rod performence

I own three rods with all micro guides.I was wondering if i were to replace the first two guides with larger guides if it would help with casting distance.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    I own three rods with all micro guides.I was wondering if i were to replace the first two guides with larger guides if it would help with casting distance.
    In my opinion if they are placed properly it likely won't help with a casting rod but could possibly with a spinning rod. The actual first guide on a casting rod is your reel line guide and you can see how small those are.

Assuming the guides are placed properly, I think it would probably hurt casting performance unless you're trying to cast leaders through or something. Everything I've read recently regarding this type of thing is all about getting the line choked down as quickly as possible.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Not knowing what size or how tall or how far away from the face of the reel the stripper (or butt guide) is, I can't say for sure, but ......... I would say changing to a different butt guide could make the rod cast a lot better.

My guess is that most other builders would say that Fuji is at the top of the list for quality well designed guides. There is a reason that their kinda newish RV6 butt guide is the height and the size that it is. I am of the belief, and my experiments have bore this out, at least to me, that the height of the stripper guide plays a big role in casting performance. Too short and it increases the angle of the line from the reel which causes friction. Too small of a ring and depending on the type of line you're using (braid can hide a lot of flaws in a guide train) too small of a butt guide can make the rod cast inconsistently. Too short and too small IMO is a recipe for disaster.

IMO the shorter the butt guide, the further it has to be from the face of the reel to not affect casting performance. Push it out too far and it hurts. If it were me and it was a rod with a guide train like one of the first generation Duckett micro magics, or something similar, I'd be putting at least a size 8 double foot on for a butt guide. And personally I'd go with size 10. The big plus of micro guides is that they save weight in the running portion of the guide train. Guide weight toward the butt has very little affect on rod performance.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply's - I need to order some guides.

6. Member
    If it's one of the Ducketts or similar that has all the same size micros then yes it will absolutely help. Like Bassbme says the stripper needs to be closer to the height of the line guide on your reel. I'd recommend doing one of the following

Kigan high frame double foot 5 then another single foot 5 then down to the existing micro train

OR

Fuji KWAG7 then a LAG5.5 and then down to the existing micro train.

The reverse strippers are fine and work well, I just don't like how they look. I'm pretty sure I have a few in the shop if you want to try one of those shoot me your address and I'll send you one of those and a single foot to go along with it for your second guide.

7. Member
    Thanks willwork and i appreciate the offer.Sent you a pm

8. Member
    If it is a Duckett, almost anything you do to it will be an improvement.