vapor seperator/ pump delete info needed 1995 60degree v4 115 looper model e115 sleo

hey guys, read a bunch of good info here , thanks to those who take the time to post!
    i have owned the ocean pro 115 since new and love it, best outboard for salt water i have ever owned , and i have had more than a few. still looks like new under the cover and that's something for a ocean going 25year old motor. coming from a auto mechanic background i do all of my own work and have the factory service and parts books.

as of now the motor is bone stock but due to age i went to premix a while back rather than putting out the dough for a new vro. i just felt i did not want to risk it any longer and have premixed most of my life. that being said the vro was flawless for many years.

now i am at the point where i want to do some more preventive maintenance , hose replacement ect, ect, so i am planing the delete the vro fuel pump and try and simplify the whole intake area a bit so i can see whats going on there more like the good old days of simple out boards.

sounds like some here (headhigh ) have done a vro and vapor pump delete. i already run a 10 micron spin on filter/ water separator so it seems doable at first look to me. although the fuel pump delete is straight forward i am not sure about the vapor separator , mechanically i see no issues other than maybe needing to make a bracket for the primer solenoid . i have to admit i dont really know why the vapor separator/ pump is used in the first place other than maybe to protect the vro pump or is it a smog device? never had one on any other outboard i have owned. the fuel vapor or air in the lines was just vented out through the float bowl vents. i guess it also prevents a air lock in the fuel pump but that has never been a issue for me in the past given the tank side system is vacuum leak free.

i have read a lot of factory service books , some really bad , some very good , and the omc book is about a b/b+ imo. i cant find any thing about testing the main bearing "vents" and check valves that are shown in the parts book. that is just 1 thing that comes up when i am trying to reverse engineer what to do w/ the vents ect at the vapor pump. i cant find any explanation or theory on some of the hoses that will need to be dealt with. if i know the theory is i can usually figure it out. on my motor both hoses going to the main bearings pass air both directions so if there are check valves there they dont work or i dont understand how they should work. the one caveat here is my hose diagram shows the lower main vent tees possibly and i did not plug the end at the balance tube.

any input or questions or answers to the long winded above greatly appreciated. headhigh, please jump in here!

2. Member
    I don’t have the answers but my gut is saying “25 years old and running great”. Why would you mess with it?

3. Member
    i mess w/ it all the time...........that's how i got 25 years out of it :)

4. Member
    Yep, jump in here old headhigh, old jughead is running away.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 02-11-2020 at 03:41 AM.

5. Member
    chas650r Did you proceed with your plans to bypass / remove the vst? I'm in the same boat with a carbureted 2001 175. I switched to the maxrules premix fuel pumps and would love to get rid of the vst system. I too, come from the auto mechanics background and wraping my head around how the vst works is certainly different.

6. Member

yes...............all removed . gotta go to work now , details to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by jpitt-32 View Post
    chas650r Did you proceed with your plans to bypass / remove the vst? I'm in the same boat with a carbureted 2001 175. I switched to the maxrules premix fuel pumps and would love to get rid of the vst system. I too, come from the auto mechanics background and wraping my head around how the vst works is certainly different.
    gotta go to work now , details to follow.

7. Member
    32, I found very little info on the vst system , nobody seems to know what it really does or its need / purpose. I did quite a search . in the end i mapped out all the hoses that come to it and checked for vacuum / pressure on each one w/ the motor running . the findings tell me it is just a vapor recovery / smog device. not sure if yours is the same but in the end the bowl of the vst is vented to the intake silencer. long story short i just got all of the vent lines that went to the vapor separator and tee'ed them together and got them to the air silencer . of course my concern was to be very sure I did not create a vacuum leak and cause a lean condition, hence the vacuum test on every hose.

so i made a bracket for the primmer solenoid ( from the existing vro )and a new old style simple fuel pump and feed them both vacuum from the pulse limiter . so far so good and soooooo much simpler at the front of the motor. i just got all this finished right at the start of covid 19 and had limited access to the launch ramp so the final testing is set for next week. starts , runs , idles fine and i expect no issues.

if you have any questions lmk. i can get pics but yours is a v6 i think so a bit different. if you have any thoughts i am all ears.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Only difference between the two fuel brackets is the V-6 uses a vacuum switch to alert you of fuel restriction. Post up your pictures for a critique.