Late February recommendation

Hi all,

Was planning on going down to Pickwick/guntersville area Feb 22-26 now looks like it might be flooded out. I'm from MN and looking for some options in the Oklahoma area about lakes that have a good end of February bite. If anyone is willing to share I'd really like some local recommendations as I'm kind of reeling with the weather that has been dealt. Appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    We’ve been pretty wet here too. Maybe not quite as bad but every storm that went through there started here or here abouts. Late feb this year is mounding up to be extremely tough. Water temps will probably around 40 and most lakes are already muddy. If I had to pick a single ok lake that was big enough for a “trip” it would probably be on the southern board area. Broken bow/Texoma. And truthfully would probably be better served to keep driving for an extra hour or two and hit some Texas lakes. Just my opinion.

3. Member
    Yeah, I kind of figured that. Was thinking maybe a power plant lake or something that I could hit on my way down to Texas (probably Rayburn or Fork)
    Last edited by lakesareabassin; 02-14-2020 at 12:51 PM.

4. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Konowa and sooner are both power plant lakes. Konowa was generating some when I was there last time. Not sure about sooner.

5. Banned
    Late February run down to fayette county lake in Texas and take a lot of pocket change for waterdogs. It's a power plant lake so late February it will be pre spawn. Last time I was down the waterdogs were a buck each and we could go through a $100 in a day. Start out the morning on points after mid morning go fish the waterdogs in the creek channels and timber. Be careful they will try to pull the rod out of your hands they hit those waterdogs hard. Their trying to kill them not eat them.

6. Member
    What part of Minnesota are you from? We go to Lake Vermilion in June every year.
    I am fishing a tournament this weekend at Texoma and can give you an update after that. Our clubs first tournament is March 7th at Broken Bow. Last year there was a ton of fish caught. Much warmer down there. Just passing through you might fish Sooner as it can be pretty good in February. Konawa is also a power plant lake, but it does not generate much. The fishing can be real good. The last tourney it took 17+ to win.
    I have been to Rayburn the last two Februarys. Had good days and bads as the weather always played a part. Huge lake and if you have not been before it can be tough.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmith1 View Post
    What part of Minnesota are you from? We go to Lake Vermilion in June every year.
    I am fishing a tournament this weekend at Texoma and can give you an update after that. Our clubs first tournament is March 7th at Broken Bow. Last year there was a ton of fish caught. Much warmer down there. Just passing through you might fish Sooner as it can be pretty good in February. Konawa is also a power plant lake, but it does not generate much. The fishing can be real good. The last tourney it took 17+ to win.
    I have been to Rayburn the last two Februarys. Had good days and bads as the weather always played a part. Huge lake and if you have not been before it can be tough.
    Sssssshhhhhhhh.......don't tell anyone that. Broken bow is a mud hole with no fish in it!!!! Seriously it's a beautiful lake with tons of fish. If you go by Broken bow don't let the weather bother you some of my best days I had to unload the boat in the road. If the rains hit just go as far back as you can in the creek till you run out of water than cast even further up. If the lakes at normal their is always fish on the main lake points you will just have to figure out what depth their staging at. Colder water the fish tend to hold in sharp creek bends.

8. Member
    I live near the Twin Cities area. Vermillion is beautiful area.

Broken Bow is right on my way to Rayburn. I looked at that but haven't really heard much about it. Just off the path is Millwood Lake in Arkansas as well, I've seen that listed in the best lakes. I'm trying to figure out if a pit stop is worth it or just get down to my final destination. I appreciate all the advice. For Broken Bow it was mentioned to go up the creek, assuming you are talking to creek out the north end correct? Is that a lot of laydown type fishing?

9. Banned
    The river comes in from the north. Theirs tons of little creeks that run intersect the river and lots of little cuts. Everyone of them will have a point or ledge to them that normally hold fish. The timber is mostly standing their is some laying down but most is standing. If you look at a map up the river Bear creek up is where I mostly fish Bear, Lindson, Gar, and Turkey creeks along with every little pocket off the river I hit the openings most I don't go into. If it happens to rain and the lake is catching run off go as far back as you can sometimes I go through trees to get as far up as I can. Best days I had the lake was 18ft above and rising. It's pretty clear water dingy is about 2-3ft visibility.

Their is a ramp up the river at the Mccurtain county game reserve if you don't want to make the run up the lake. Roads a black top but a little bumpy. I always put in there since my fiancee parents live a mile from the ramp.
    Last edited by jarhead175; 02-15-2020 at 04:30 AM.