Tracker by Merc starter problems

I have a 98 90hp Tracker force series by Mercury. I am constantly having to replace the starter, its so bad that i carry a spare in my boat. They just go out. Any suggestions to causes or solutions? They usually last about 6 mths.I am baffled. Thanks.

Dude..... that's crazy. Can't imagine..... Maybe Don will chime in on this one. I would check all the connections involved. Maybe the wrong battery or too small gauge wires so its not carrying enough juice to spin the starter at the right RPM's. I would also check the primary pick up timing on the motor.. Low compression maybe?... Is it taking a long time to start? Excessive grinding? Good luck man. You really shouldn't have to carry an extra starter....

3. Member
    you check mounting also and flywheel ????/ getting factory merc starters with a one year warrn ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Noticed a broke tooth on flywheel. could be problem. It is a cold collard two stroke, takes a minute to fire, but after that no problems. the bushing came out on this last starter. maybe just cheap starters. Thanks for answering.

5. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    It shouldn't take a minute to fire. Cranking for a minute will heat up the stater shortening its life span. Work on the starting proceedure- After priming the fuel bulb, advance "throttle Only" about 1/3rd of the way. Then turn the key to on position and Push in the key to prime for about 5 seconds in cold weather. Maybe a second in warm weather. It should fire off within a few seconds. The missing tooth on flywheel shouldn't be a problem unless you are finding metal chips and shavings all over the drive gear etc.

7. Member
    Thanks. That is part of the problem, It had a slight flooding problem, think now i have it figured out. Its the way i have been starting it.