2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Skeg question

serial # 2B736824

So a week long trip to Big O resulted in some "break in" love the skeg. Whats best way to deal with some dings / dents with some rather sharp edges. I guess a file or dremil tool might be best but any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on the severity. There are a couple of factors to keep in mind on this (important):

-Any impact damage to the gearcase is grounds for denial of warranty claims under the Warranty Terms. Mercury is quite strict on this (and for good reason).

-Distortion or modification of the geometry of the skeg can have adverse or even dangerous ramifications in terms of safety or handling/performance.

-Contact of the gearcase with any object (which causes damage) is normally a covered "cause of loss" under insurance. The appropriate measure is to have the case, shafts, and gears checked- and an estimate prepared to repair the case utilizing only OEM Mercury Parts, by a Certified or Master Technician, with an end result that the damaged components (or assembly) are replaced to Warranty Standards (thus protecting your engine's Factory Warranty, and two additional years of Platinum Product Protection).

Have any pictures?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don, Thanks for the response, its not bad. the contact happened when trimmed down at idle. i quickly trimmed up and got out of gear, but the edge is rough. I am going to smooth it with a file, then maybe touch it up with new paint.