Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ARE POWER POLE WORTH IT ?

Sell me on power poles.

I cant. Took mine off last summer and I hardly missed them. My backseater was greatful
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

I can't either. Took my Talons off last spring and haven't thought about them again.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    I use mine quite often. They are a great aid when launching by myself. I fish a lot of docks and that for me is where they shine especially on a windy day, they hold my boat in position so I can concentrate on my casts.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

5. Member
    If you are a shallow water fisherman like we are in Florida it is a must have.
    Deep water fishing you better off with spotlock.

6. Member
    I’ve got two power poles and an Ultrex. If I had to give up one,it would be the Ultrex. Poles are so much better for shallow fishing.

7. Member
    Agree with the consensus. If you launch by yourself, they're a GOD SEND! I can back in just far enough for the boat to float and drive out from under it with my 10' Blades, even with a 25' launching rope on the front, it doesn't get tight, trailer is out of the water, and sitting next to the dock. (Or at least one I launch from during the week.) Do that a few times, especially if it's rough/windy and you'll be glad you have them.

I agree though that in deeper water, they're useless. DUHHHHH.....
    (But I still prefer the 10' to the 8' I had before.)

Height off the back deck really isn't an issue, not with Power Poles... because you lower them with a flick of the remote, touch of the toe or a quick push on the console button. That part comes in really handy with low bridges! (And this part is where I'd prefer the 8' over the 10', but the ONLY part.) Been under a couple we could touch overhead while seated which made you look at the motor during the process!

Don't know what else you need to "sell" ya'.
    They're absolutely lighter! Not by a little bit either. Generally agreed, transom weight is just over half that of comparable Talons. Maybe 4~5 lbs more total installed weight for the pump, but it's in the bilge.
    Some would argue they're quieter compared to Talons. I've heard Talons from across a cove. Then again, I've also heard guys say that Talons are not noisy at all.

But as for what they offer you as an angler, that all depends on how you fish of course. We fish cuts, coves, docks etc. and they're used pretty much every trip. Having them hold you in the shallow shade for lunch ain't all bad. Just as well as parking at the dock of the BBQ place with all the other traffic. Biggest problem with bass boats and docks (as I'm sure you know) is they tend to go under 90% of them! Power Poles can help with that for SURE! If nothing else, by holding the stern in place, allowing a spring line off the front (along with the tie line off the side of course) keeping it away from the dock.

Is this where we start talking about the ever dreaded DOCK STICKS?

Final vote..... wouldn't own a bass boat without them.

8. Member
    I’m two fishing trips in with my new poles. I mainly fish shallow (6 feet or less). On my first trip with them I noticed some bait activity in 2 feet of water. Hit the button and caught 3 fish in a matter of 10 minutes. Had I not had them my boat would have blown out of the zone or I would have disturbed those fish with the trolling motor trying to get in place. Can’t wait to put them to use on bedding fish. KandKKustoms is where I purchased them at a great price.

9. Member
    Thats where I purchased mine and great service highly recommend them.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

10. Member
    I never could understand the dire need for these things. My Z520 came with 8' PP's. I now use them everytime I go, if nothing else but a way to quickly anchor the boat while I take 30minutes at lunchtime to enjoy lunch.

I do wish I had a trolling motor with spotlock ........ mainly b/c I mostly fish water deeper than 10'.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Was told by a dealer that PP sales are down over the 2 year a significant percent. How true is that, I don't know. Said he is experiencing 2nd time buyers not getting them on their boat, even though they had them on their previous boat. I have them on my boat, and use them all the time.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    If you are a shallow water fisherman like we are in Florida it is a must have.
    Deep water fishing you better off with spotlock.
    Totally agree
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    Was told by a dealer that PP sales are down over the 2 year a significant percent. How true is that, I don't know. Said he is experiencing 2nd time buyers not getting them on their boat, even though they had them on their previous boat. I have them on my boat, and use them all the time.
    Add me to the club that had power poles on 2 boats then dropped them on my current boat. Just could not see another $4-5k for something I used mostly at the dock, plus they got in the way around low bridges, overhanging trees, etc. When I ordered my 2018 boat, I thought back over the past few years and realized I had caught just a handful of fish with the poles down. Your mileage may vary, but so long as I fish upwind, it’s usually not difficult to sit still on a spot as long as I want to stay there, poles or no poles.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Love my blade power poles. Cant live without them.
    2006 Ranger Z20
    2011 225hp Evinrude ETEC H.O.
    26p Raker II SS prop
    HDS9 gen2 at bow and HDS16 carbon on a precision sonar console bracket.
    Units linked into outboard interface.
    Precision sonar gauge relocation kit.
    2) 8' power pole blades
    101 lb 36v minn kota fortrex
    Bob's 10" hydraulic jack plate

It really depends on what lakes and how you fish. Here in GA, I may fish a shallow lake (Lake Weiss) and the next be on a deep clear lake (Lake Lanier). In all cases, PPs are great for launching, holding at a dock or waiting for a tournament. I would like to have both but funds do allow right now. In the spring though, I may get both.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

My Opinion- I have both power poles and spot lock and feel that both are very valuable tools and find that I more often use spot lock and if could only have one that's what it would be is Spot Lock. My Power poles are great and the poles seem to spoke the fish less in the high pressured shallow areas and allow me to stay in place to concentrator on putting my baits in the best places with out the trolling motor kicking up mud and grass. Poles are great launching your boat by yourself as well.

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

If you like to flip and pitch, try it with a wind at your back and no poles. You can pick a piece of cover apart when you're boat is locked down. I will always have them on my boats. No more digging my skeg into the sand at a windy beach when loading and unloading.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

18. Ken Braun
    Yes especialy when you have to poop and your buy yourself!!

19. Member
    I see less and less around here. I am rarely in depth range of poles even when fishing shallow. Plus, when I am fishing shallow, I am constantly moving. I don't bed fish and I don't need to anchor to flip to a bush 20 times.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

20. Member
    I would never have a boat without them and without spot lock. Both have a purpose at the right time. Now I have had both the blades and sportmans. Honestly if you don't need a 10 pole I would go with the Sportsman for about half the cost. However whatever you do buy 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast